underground pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to move a rainwater gully and trap about 1 mtre to a new position.I have a section of grey soil pipe,would it be okay to use this rather than having to purchase a length of brown ug pipe.

Sponsored Links
In an ideal world use the brown,but if just for rainwater to a soakaway and no building inspector to see then use the grey,pipe is pipe is pipe!(within reason!)Brown pipe IS the requirement (for undergroung waste)but for rainwater it will not make the slightest difference,it will perform exactly the same job.There is basically no difference except for the price! :evil:

thanks trowellhead,I take it that I can use the brown connectors with the grey pipe as well.

Sponsored Links
The reason for difference colour pipe is for identification, blue pipe = water, yellow pipe = gas, underground drainage = brown/orange, soil vent pipe = grey and so on.

i also understood that below ground drainage was not protected against the breakdown from uv light, hence why you cant use it above ground

I also thought there were differences between the pipes other than the colour for identifying what they carry, i.e. wall thickness.

The difference is in the UV protection (ultra violet). The brown pipe is not UV protected so can only be used underground whereas the grey is UV protected so can be used above ground.

To use grey below ground is perfectly ok, it's just an expensive way of doing it if you're buying the pipe from new. However if you're using up offcuts then this is a good way to get rid of them without having to buy any new brown pipe.

That's why the grey is more expensive than the brown, it is UV protected plastic.

Wall thickness is identical (make for make) between grey and brown.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back