Universal beam supported by c16 timber - will partition wall need 2 layers of plasterboard each side

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

structural engineer specified c16 timber to support one end of Universal beam which is all now in to spec (other end is on padstone in brick wall)

i understand that the beam needs to be double skinned with 12mm plasterboard and have done similar on another beam we installed.

Question is will the vertical c16 timber support and the adjacent wood partition wall need to be a double skin of 12.5mm plasterboard on each side.
non of this was specified on engineers drawing.

I will be asking building control tomorrow but wanted to get partition wall built today and in order to line up with adjacent walls i need to allow for 1 or 2 skins of 12.5mm plasterboard.

just wondered if anyone had any guidance on this please

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If it only needs to have 1/2 hour fire resistance, then one layer of 12.5mm board and skim will do. This is most likely for a domestic arrangement for beams, walls and supports.

Your double layer gives 1 hour, so if that is what is required, do 2 layers and skim.

hi thanks for that

will carry on with allowing for just one layer as that does line up more neatly with existing walls / coving etc.

it was just that I was thinking that if the beam needed two layers then the actual vertical supporting c16 timber would probably burn down before the beam was affected :)

Sponsored Links
We don't tend to think in terms of layers, but of time of fire resistance required.

Your two layers would give 1 hour fire resistance, but if only half hour resistance was required, then you could have clad the beam in just 1 layer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back