Unoccupied through winter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm going over to the Isle of Wight for 3 months over Christmas and New Year and I don't want to come back to burst pipes. What do other members think is a sensible temperature to have on in the bungalow while I'm away? The loft has just been insulated and a new jacket placed around the header tank. I have a Megaflo cylinder and the underfloor radiator pipework is plastic. I'd be most grateful for your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Is the boiler in the house, not an unheated area? If so, 5-7C should be OK.

Do you have a programmable stat with the ability to set a "holiday" period and temperature? If you do, set it so the heating comes back on, at normal temperature, the day before you return home. You then won't come back to a half-warm house.

Don't rely on the boiler working while your away especially if it's a modern can.

Best plan is a house sitter or someone to check every day. Only other safe way is to completly drain and winterize, not forgetting antifreeze in the wc pan, traps etc.

I would say leave the heating on constant with the room thermostat at 10 degrees. But a customer told me that their house insurance company say leave the room thermostat at 15 degrees in an unoccupied house. Seems a bit exessive to me, but i'd rather do that over the insurance company not paying out in case of a disaster ;)

Also as previous poster said, get the neighbours to check up on the house every so often. A few bottles of wine should keep them happy!

Sponsored Links
Check your home insurance documents. Most are in valid if property is empty for more that 30 days at a time.

This would require someone to stay in the house for a night every 4 weeks or so.
:rolleyes:

Htg wise I would rather leave it on at 15 or more or just as normal the gas bill won't be as high as your excess ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back