Unusual Coach Bolt

bsr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning All

I've been given my dad's old mower, its petrol, green and branded "Golf". The coach bolts that hold the upper handle to the lower handle have rusted through.

One of the bolts is unusual, its a fine pitch (M8 ) and the square bit under the head is 8mmx10mm. I tried replacing it with a standard coach bolt (8mmx8mm) but that spins in the cutout.

Has anyone heard of Golf mowers or know where I can get one of these bolts and other spares from? If I search for "Golf mowers" I get sites trying to sell me mowers for a golf course!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm a bit puzzled to hear that the square under the head will spin in the slot, if one dimension is 8mm.

Could you use a hex-headed bolt instead, with a suitable washer underneath so that it seats reasonably well? I've done this with my mower; after the original fittings vibrated loose and got lost in the undergrowth, I've used hex bolts, washers and nyloc nuts. (It does mean not being able to conveniently fold the handle, though.)

Can you post a picture of the bolt?

I'm afraid my imagination does not stretch as far as seeing your bolts :D

i would assume you have some wear and tare i would get a 10mm square
and with angle grinder/bench grinder/metal file/emery paper and block/hacksaw keep eating away bit by bit

Sponsored Links
Thanks for suggestions so far...

It looks just like any other coach bolt, except that the "Square" under the head isn't square!

Where do you find coach bolts with different size "Squares"? The merchants I've been to only have the standard ones that aren't big enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back