Unusual construction?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There's a house near us, a few like it round here, that I was thinking of buying.

It looks like a 70's build to me. There's a brick gable and a two brick wide pillar were the party wall is, (block of four) downstairs looks normal, with brickwork between and above the windows, Upstairs is timber cladded, then full width windows upto the eaves.

Any idea if it have a steel beam, spanning across from the gable to the party walls to carry the roof or something else?

Does this type of build have a name?

Many thanks :)

Sponsored Links
Cross wall construction. Designed to allow loads of windows upstairs.
Very popular in the 60's and 70's. The upper front and rear walls were normally 4x2 studwork, and sometimes the lower as well.
The weight of the floors and roof were taken on the party and gable walls.
Sometimes one of these.

Cross wall construction. Designed to allow loads of windows upstairs.
Very popular in the 60's and 70's. The upper front and rear walls were normally 4x2 studwork, and sometimes the lower as well.
The weight of the floors and roof were taken on the party and gable walls.
Sometimes one of these.

Note that there is often very poor insulation in the timber studwork.

Sponsored Links
My friend bought a house similar last year, and there was no insulation between the studwork, but if you are moving into a house its not a big deal to fit some kingspan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back