Unvented expansion vessel - unqualified engineer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have my red expansion vessel of my unvented heating system replaced by a gas engineer. He showed his GasSafe card and I assumed all was well, only afterwards upon finding him on the GasSafe register I see that he is qualified for 'vented cylinders' but not 'unvented cylinders'

Is the expansion vessel classed as part of the unvented cylinder system or is the wording exact as in its just the cylinder itself that he cannot work on? I other words, should he have replaced it with his qualifications.

Sponsored Links
The red one is part of the heating system and he can replace that.

If you have a white one then he needs the G3 qualification for that.

Gas Safe register is not the definitive indicator of a G3 holder.

Tony

Good question, the qualification for working on unvented is called a G3 qualification, I have this qualification but I have just looked at my Gas safe card and you are correct mine also says vented cylinder, why not just call your installer and ask him ? when you do G3 you get an additional card, every chance he has one

I haven't done the g3 thing for years, only ever did it once. But according to my gas safe card I'm still qualified on unventeds, so that's alright then. (y)

Sponsored Links
I haven't done the g3 thing for years, only ever did it once. But according to my gas safe card I'm still qualified on unventeds, so that's alright then. (y)
Sooey does it actually say on your card unvented ? I checked mine and mine only says vented but I have done G3 and have a seperate card for it, might be different in England and Wales from Scotland as a lot of the regs are different

when I did mine first time we paid extra and went to Wakefield to sit it so paid extra with travel and hotels and stuff but at the time it was a qualification for life but if you sat it in scotland think it was only for 3 years, then the lovely bodies that regulate us decided that it had to be renewed every 5 years so I had to go back and do it again, have looked back at my old gas safe and corgi cards and I have never had unvented on any of them , strange

That's what they told us, "not like ACS, qualification for life" I took them literally.

It expires every 5 years now. So you are out of scope, ha ha

It expires every 5 years now. So you are out of scope, ha ha

Rubbish!!......As said one of training for lifetime qualification. I've used it for LABC & on HA audits, never a problem. But hey the reputation of an artisan like my good self, why would my qualification by questioned??.....Pfffftttttt.....the very thought!!!

If you e mail gas safe with your details for un vented they will add it to your card and add it to gas safe register.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back