Up and Over (henderson) Garage Door Collapse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garage door has come off it's mounting on one side. The screws fixing it to the timber baton seem to have twisted and split the timber and finally become loose enough to let the mounting come off.

How easy does this look to re-attach. I am a bit nervous about trying anything myself with all the spring tension involved.

Could this just be re-attached? A bit of wood filler, new screws and rawl plugs? Maybe replacement cables?

Thoughts much appreciated!

upload_2016-3-13_15-17-39.jpeg

upload_2016-3-13_15-17-57.jpeg

upload_2016-3-13_15-18-12.jpeg

upload_2016-3-13_15-18-25.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I just had to replace the cables on mine last week when they snapped, Exactly the same door by the looks of it.
This is the kit I bought if the cables need replacing http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331021017...49&var=540237916697&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
It also comes with the tension tools for making the spring safe while you work.

Here is the video I loosely followed (I also had to re-tension it which I figured out on my own)

I would use the supplied tension tools or find something strong to wedge through the holes (I warn you I did snap a really old rusty screwdriver before I decided to use the tension tools).
Then I would prop the door up and put some new screws/bolts through at opposing angles. You could fill and glue the old holes first if you like but you will have to wait for it to go off.

It is a bit of a fiddly pain in the butt job to change the cables but I managed to do mine on my own.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Quick note.
If you do change the cable/cones. DO NOT! Loose your old split pins like I did!
The new one supplied are tight as a mother F'er to get in, The old ones would be much easier.

Sponsored Links
Sorry cant help on that one. I'm a window fitter, How about some expanding foam? lol
I think you can get a wood repair filler that goes off extra hard

Well, decided to get a pro to look at it.

Two options

1) Replace the wood frame (the exisiting one was a bit bodged to begin with and parts are rotton) and then re-use the exisitng door which (according to the pro) looks to be in servicable condition with just a few replacement parts required. Priced around £330 .

2) Replace with a modern up and over and an all steel frame. Price around £550.

I am normally a make do and mend. But an all steel frame does sound more robust in the long term.

Thoughts?

True it would be.
If the timber frame is that bad you may as well go the whole hog.
I would recommend a retractable door rather than a canopy/up and over though as it would be easy to add a motor to it at a later date if you wanted.
You have alot of posts here so you must be quite handy. They are pretty damb easy to fit but to be honest £550 all in is a very good price!

It is a pitched roof garage, so a full retractable (I assume) would eat a lot of air space. I also assume it would also leave a permenant frame and motor floating in mid air.

I consider myself to be handy. But as with all things, you need the right tools for the job....and unfortunatly...I lack many.

Last edited:
True retractable does have a frame and runners that come full length into the garage. So it depends on how you use the space.
You could ask the guy for a price on a roller door, Again easy to add a motor too if you wanted at a later date. (assuming you have 350mm spare above the door for the roller).
But thats only assuming you may want to add a motor one day.

All you need for garage doors are hammer drill, Normal drill and some good levels. But at his prices I would bite his arm off.
I have fitted about 50 garage doors but at that price I would probably just pay him myself

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back