upgrading window with no lintel (pic)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I am having to swap this window for a new upvc one.

My issue is the lintel. The vertical bricks are supported by the window.

Can I buy a single steel lintel I can fit prior to taking the window out !? I.e a thin piece of steel?

The lintels I can find look as though the vertical bricks will need taking out and refitting !!

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20151102_111025.jpg
    20151102_111025.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 192
Sponsored Links
I'm no expert (ie structural engineer), but have a reasonable understanding of applied loads and corballing(?)/keystoning in brickwork.

The narrowness of the window could suggest that no lintel is required, but!!... a floor joist could be anchored to the internal leaf right above it, even so, narrowness may again suggest corballing would push any load either side of the opening!

I would check with building control in your area... They are usually pretty helpful when asked and may pop out to you to have a gander.

Meanwhile, I find this an interesting read...
http://www.smithmarstonblog.co.uk/c...ing_wp_cron=1446910252.7650780677795410156250

That's a nice window, and part of the character of the building. I wouldn't call uPVC an upgrade...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back