Upstairs light not working... (pictures attached)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A light in a upstairs bedroom is not working..all other lights on same upstairs circuit working correctly.

I have attached some pictures which may help some body diagnose the problem.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 508
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 492
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 487
Sponsored Links
Has it ever worked? If no, how do you know it's on the same circuit?

If yes, have you recently changed anything?

Have you checked the bulb? (I know, but you'd be amazed what some people don't think to do)

Do you have a multimeter?

Yes it used to work but hasnt for some time. I dont have a multimeter unfortunatley. Checked bulb lol

Were you doing any work which involved making holes in walls or ceilings, or moving things about in the loft, around the time it stopped working?

Sponsored Links
No nothing..it stopped woring some time ago but the room isnt used i assumed it was just the bulb, changed the bulb today and stil not coming on.

So it looks like it wired up right to you?

It looks ok yea. There's a bit of copper showing on one of those reds, whether it's popped out or there's just too much stripped back is hard to say without being there. Worth checking, but make sure you turn the power off.

As this isn't the last point on the circuit, if the problem was elsewhere, the lights in the circuit after it would have stopped working.

I have seen it before where the flex has worked it's way out of the lamp holder. Unscrew the lid of the lamp holder (not the skirt the lampshade sits over, the very top bit) and check those cables too

Checked tat all fine. Could it be a fault switch or ceiling rose?

I doubt it will be a faulty rose, the switch may be faulty.

There's nothing really to go wrong in a rose, it's just two lumps of brass to connect the cables.

To prove if the switch is faulty or not, move the cable from L1 to Com (so there's two cables in there) means the light would be permanently on, but will prove the issue (or not)

Ok so ive moved a red fron the midle section to the left section into the same terminal as the switched live which i think is what you suggested? Still no luck..what about the lamp holder itself do they ever fail? Could try with one from another room if so.

No, put the rose back as it was and put the two wires in the same terminal in the switch.

I suppose your switch wire could be faulty.

Last thing to try without a multimeter is to move the brown flex from the ceiling rose to the middle with the two reds.

If that doesn't work, you need a multimeter or an electrician

Well that hasnt worked either how frustrating thought it was surely something and nothing...i havent yet tried a new lamp holder could that be worth replacing to test?

Need to find out where the next rose/light is feeding this, maybe the live to this Rose has popped out look inside the adjacent rooms/hall roses

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back