Upstairs radiators - pipe sizes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'll be installing some upstairs radiators using 15mm copper, and this will require a bit of joist notching in the void. Would anyone recommend using 10mm copper instead so that the pipes can be run through holes rather than notches?
I won't be using plastic (not used it before, and my soldering is good).

Sponsored Links
HI

it should be ok to use 10mm pipe.but why not simply notch for 15mm pipe ? both ways ok .

remember to take size of joist and intended position into account when notching joists, you cant cut a 100mm joist and any other can only be cut 1/8th of the depth, plus the dimensions as to where along the span you can cut a joist

Sponsored Links
If the above post causes an issue then why not install in Hep20 with copper tails?

Can drill through joists rather than notch. Retains the structural integrity of the joists.

remember to take size of joist and intended position into account when notching joists, you cant cut a 100mm joist and any other can only be cut 1/8th of the depth, plus the dimensions as to where along the span you can cut a joist

Absolutely - Thanks kirkgas.

If the above post causes an issue then why not install in Hep20 with copper tails?

I've no religious aversion to plastic, but I've never used it and I trust my soldering far more than a first attempt at installing HEP2o, but thanks. If joists are too small for notching then will reconsider either HEP20 or 10mm Cu.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back