Upstairs radiators won't heat up, not even at the bottom

Tried this as well, but doesn't make a difference to the upstairs rads. When all downstairs rads are turned off, the boiler does not fire up, however the pump still pumps. Only way to get the boiler to fire up again is to turn at least one of the downstairs rads back on again.

And yes all bleeding I am doing is with the heating turned off (don't want to introduce air into the system).

Sponsored Links
you'd better complain to the landlord again, suggest he gets a better plumber this time, and ask what arrangements he will be making for paying the costs of your electric heaters.

if he won't answer the phone, a recorded deliverey letter will do no harm. I take it there is no letting agent.

Is there nothing that can be used to flush out the pipe?
Sentinel X400, which will cost you about £15 for a litre in any DIY shed or plumbers merchant, will loosen soft sludge and sediment. You have to drain it all out after 4 weeks. It will not shift a totally blocked pipe. Bale all the sludge out of the F&E first (tie up the ball float) and drain a bucket of water out of the system so the chemical is drawn down.

X400 is very mild and will not cause any damage, though if you have an awkward plumber or landlord he might try to blame you. do not accept alternative products.

Those pictures were taken when the system was hot. I have since looked when the system is cold, and the water level has fallen quite substantially, it is now about 6 inchs below the level in the pictures.
That should be OK

By motorised valves I take it you mean the TRV sort?
No! I meant something like either of these, will usually be near the HW cylinder.

View media item 5946View media item 11762
I did say set the valve to MAN not MAX!

This is why I am stumped. All rads are full of water, as is the pump. F&E tank in loft seems to be going up when hot, and down when cold, as it should be. And yet still no warmth in upstairs rads.

In that case, it's probably a balancing problem.

Sponsored Links
are you sure the valves at both ends of the upstairs rads are open? TRV pins sometimes stick. When did the heating last worl properly?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back