Upstairs ring main tripping RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, my first post and I hope someone can point me in the right direction!

My RCD has tripped at random a few times over the last couple of days. After turning off the upstairs ring main breaker the RCD stays on no problem (turning this breaker on again trips the RCD, so I'm pretty sure it's the upstairs ring main). All our lights are ok and the downstairs ring main is fine.

Our combi-boiler is connected to a spur off the upstairs ring main and initially I wondered if it was causing the fault, however I've wired that to the downstairs via a 13amp plug and extension lead. It's worked fine so far and no trips, so I've ruled that out.

What's really confusing me is that now, even with nothing plugged in upstairs whatsoever, if I switch the breaker on, it trips the RCD again (although after some delay). My brother-in-law (who's an electrician) suggested that water or condensation might be getting in somewhere, but there's no visible evidence. However, it was raining both times when it happened randomly and when I tried switching the breaker back on this Sunday, a nice sunny day, it was fine all day.

I know that I'm probably going to have to get an electrician in, but before I do, I'd be grateful for any ideas of things I could check!

Thanks,
Nick

Sponsored Links
First thing to do is to unplug everything that's on that circuit. Don't just switch off.
Then try switching the circuit back on and see if it trips.
If it trips you have a problem with the wiring somewhere.
If it doesn't trip start to plug appliances in one by one and see if any cause it to trip.

First thing to do is to unplug everything that's on that circuit. Don't just switch off.
Then try switching the circuit back on and see if it trips.
If it trips you have a problem with the wiring somewhere.
If it doesn't trip start to plug appliances in one by one and see if any cause it to trip.

Thanks Luminaire, have already unplugged everything and it still trips, so looks like the wiring's at fault :(

I would have a look up in the attic and see if you have a leaky roof.

Sponsored Links
No outside light etc connected to the upstairs ring via FCU etc?
An electrician will have an instrument called an Insulaton Resistance Tester (often referred to as a Megger) which you will need in order to check the insulation of the circuit is sound, do you know any local sparks? Which part of Leeds? - some sparks on here are from that area and may know someone who can help.

No outside light etc connected to the upstairs ring via FCU etc?
An electrician will have an instrument called an Insulaton Resistance Tester (often referred to as a Megger) which you will need in order to check the insulation of the circuit is sound, do you know any local sparks? Which part of Leeds? - some sparks on here are from that area and may know someone who can help.

No outside lights that I know of. We do have one, but it's connected to the downstairs light circuit.

I did have a look in the loft, but didn't notice any leaks (didn't have a great look though)

I live in Rothwell, but only moved there about 3.5 months ago so barely even know my next door neighbours :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back