UPVC Door Drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone tell me if this is correct as it does not ring true with me?
I have had a upvc door fitted in the kitchen, when it rains water obviously runs from the door onto the laminate floor. I asked the installer why they no longer put weather boards on them he says: The door has drain holes in the bottom which allows the water to drain from the door into the lower drain cill thit allows the water to flow out. He says the door would otherwise fill with water. surely this is incorrect because holes in the bottom of the door would make the insulation of no effect. XCan someone tell me the truth please as I can't feel any outlets in the bottom of the door.

Sponsored Links
Your man is correct in that drainage holes are used to stop the frame filling with water, open your door and look at the frame across the bottom, about 4" in from each end you should see a slot, this is drilled right through the frame and stops this bit filling up, if you have a cill fitted under the door then the exit holes will be under the frame out of sight but allow water to run over the cill, if no cill is fitted then you have a 'face drain' system, a small push on cap on the outside cover the hole that is drill through the face.

Its concerning that you have water coming in though, it could be the drainage holes are drilled right through the frame, (it does happen, shoddy manufacture), test the drainage with half a cup of water gently poured onto the frame near the drainage holes, you should see it drain away, if not then get your man back and challenge him to show you the drainage working, if it doesn't the door will need to come back out and the holes checked/drilled correctly

Thank You Crank39 for your information, I'm only a novice in these things and thought I was being misinformed. Thanks a lot.
Manyn Thanks Pete (PC49)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back