upvc door wont close

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys - i had a upvc front door fitted in november 2011, by a fensa registered company...now the door wont close...what i mean is if i push the door to close it it wont close , it just bounces back and stays open....if i push the door firmly, it closes but a gentle pull on the handle from the inside or a little push from the outside opens the door. The only way i can keep it closed is if i lift the handle and use the deadlocks....ive woken up in the morning several times to see that the door has been let open all night..not very safe...phoned the company that fitted the door several times but they say they will come but no one does...any help and advice..ive tried to adjust the latch on the door frame where it catches, but this adjustment is only forward and back, no up or down adjustment..

Sponsored Links
When the door closes, is the the latch inline with the keep? The door may have dropped and might just be missing the keep. Either you take the door up using the hinge adjustment or you move the keep down on the door frame.
If the door closes with force, it should just be a case of moving the keep out slightly

when the door is closed a little tug on the handle causes the door to open, by keep im assuming you mean the bit on the door frame where the lock goes in, it appears to be in line, but i dont think its going in the keep deep enough to keep the door locked...the deadlocks seem to work fine as thats the only wayy to keep the door shut specially at night..ill try and post some pics of hinges to see if theycan be adjusted, it has three hinges..

Either the keep needs moving out slightly, or the latch maybe too close/too far away from the keep. You want about a 3-5mm gap between the cams/hooks and the frame

Sponsored Links
use 4mm alien key underneath the hinge, turn clockwise till you will manage to lock the door with the latch

The latch has a mark on it which may indicate its only just engaging into the keep. I would say the door needs moving over using the middle hinge(small cap) this will set the latch closer to the keep. You'll need to get a cap for the top of the hinge, that locks in the position and maybe the reason why the door has moved. Process of elimination of all the things mentioned

Well guys i think ive Fixed it...i noticed that the latch would engage in the keep only if i lifted thè door from the handle and pushed it shut...door would close properly...i couldnt adjust the bottom two hinges with a 4mm Allen key as i couldnt adjust it clobkwise anymore...but i did manage to turn the top hinge clobkwise About a quarter of a turn...seems to have done the trick...door closes properly with a gentle push...Thanks guys.... :D

use 4mm alien key underneath the hinge, turn clockwise till you will manage to lock the door with the latch
well guys the problem is still there..thought id sorted it but still there...are there any special types of allens keys for upvc door hinges?...the 4mm metal one i have fits, but doesnt fit snuggly, i managed to adjust the top hinge, but couldnt do the middle one and lowerr hinge...allen keys doesnt seem to fit toghtly..i might shred the plastic hex nut in the hinge.. :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back