UPVC door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
currently got one on the front porch which can be opened and closed from both sides without key if unlocked

i wanted to change this to one that can be opened from the inside if unlocked but required a key from the outside at all time

how do i do about this, do i need a new door, new locking mechanism or just a new handle?

any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Has it got a "Euro Cylinder" lock like this?
p4114600_l.jpg

they are easily replaced and you can get them with a key each side, or a key one side and a thumb turn the other.

If not, try to lay your hands on a digital camera and post a pic.

(edited to say, sorry, I may have misunderstood, it might be the handle/lock arrangement in the door that wants altering, I think we'll need a picture)

JohnD said:
Has it got a "Euro Cylinder" lock like this?
p4114600_l.jpg

they are easily replaced and you can get them with a key each side, or a key one side and a thumb turn the other.

If not, try to lay your hands on a digital camera and post a pic.

(edited to say, sorry, I may have misunderstood, it might be the handle/lock arrangement in the door that wants altering, I think we'll need a picture)

its got a lock ofthe same type but with key each side

here is a picture of a similar door

cc_1_b.JPG

just makes it more secure to have door lock as soon as its closed but opened without key from inside

UPDATE

just found this info on the net

Split-Spindle Mechanism - This system replaces the standard lock set-up with a mechanism that operates differently between the inside of the house and the outside. On the inside the handle works in the normal way, push down to exit, lift up to engage the locking points prior to turning the key. However on the outside, instead of working in exactly the same way, pushing down does not operate anything thus giving light security when entering or leaving and just pushing/pulling the door behind you. The key is required to enter the house. With the door closed it is always partly locked. Simple peace of mind.

http://www.windowsanddoors.co.uk/residential-doors.html [/b][/i]

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back