upvc door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys..i just installed a new upvc kitchen door, however the bottom of the frame resting on the floor seems to be letting water in, even though i cemented the gap at the bottom when installing...how can i prevent further water coming in when it rains ...see pic below.

DSC01028.jpg

Sponsored Links
How much clearance do you have under the door when open? It looks almost on the concrete floor!

HandyHands said:
How much clearance do you have under the door when open? It looks almost on the concrete floor!
it looks like its on the floor but it isnt, its 1" above the floor..ive filled the gap underneath with cement....well a mixture of screeding sand and cement, thats what the builder left behind so i mixed that up and used it..pic from the outside of the door..
DSC01029.jpg

Sponsored Links
I think that's the problem, my guess is the rain is soaking through the cement under the cill, might be an idea to buy a top cill profile type and put it under the gold cill and finish off with sealant to keep the driving rain off.

As an amateur, my view is that you have done everything right except the mounting of the weatherstrip device which the door closes against. I assume, when the door closes, it meets a rubber/neoprene type of seal, set into the inside face of the weatherstrip/threshold. The door, when opening and closing, is likely to impart some slight movement to this threshold and the seal, between it and the cement filler on which it is mounted, is disturbed.
I would suggest the you take out the threshold and apply some mastic filler for it to seat on. together with a fillet of mastic at the two ends. before firmly screwing it back to the base. Also, a check on how close the threshold is to the fully closed door, would be worthwhile. Is the door compressing the rubber seal sufficiently to effect a good watertight seal ?

I'm thinking did the gold bar come with the door? I think you may have a upvc cill missing!

the problem is, the concrete step is drawing the water in under that low threshold, and is relying on what ever adhesive/sealant that is present between the two, to keep the water out.

i would have cut the step back into the room by 3", and down by one course of bricks. i would have made the door with a stub sill and set the frame height so that when the door opened it cleared the floor and whatever i decided to put on the floor, i.e. carpet, tile, laminate etc.

this way, at least the stub sill offers protection against the weather, plus by setting it down slightly, the deepish threshold would not be too intrusive.

Did you know your weather bar is missing its D shaped rubber ?

the door shuts nice and tight against the seal, so no water comes through there..the gold strip came with the door...im thinking that it may be the cement on which the frame is sitting..it might be letting the water through...then again it may be that it needs a plastic cill on the outside...where di i get that from ?...cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back