uPVC fascias: require ventialtion tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1970s 2-bedroom detached bungalow, gable-to-gable (one row of ridge tiles). Chimney stack.
I am looking to get my rotten wooden fascias replaced with uPVC.

One company said I would need ventilation ridge tiles and/or ventilation roof tiles added. Ventilated soffits would not be enough.

I queried this, as my neighbour's identical bungalows just have ventilated soffits.
They uPVC company said that was "the minimum requirement".

Are they trying a hard sell? I can't say that I have noticed any other houses with ventilation tiles, apart from a flue for a gas fire, or something.

Sponsored Links
If you've never had a problem and there was no soffit ventilation to start with then you won't need the extra tile vents.

Ventilated soffits are so 90's. The best companies use over fascia vents ;)

If you've never had a problem and there was no soffit ventilation to start with then you won't need the extra tile vents.

Ventilated soffits are so 90's. The best companies use over fascia vents ;)

Currently ventilation is from gaps in the woodwork. And it's more thsan adequate. The gable end faces west and you get a breeze blowing through.

However, when the house was built in the 70s, people had minimal loft insulation. So the loft was warmer, I suppose.

Hi,

I install Upvc fascias/soffits for a living, it;s quite rare that I fit vented tiles/ridges as well, only happens if there is a pre-existing ventilation issue.

I agree with the other poster, the installation will look better if you install a plain non-vented soffit board but fit a vent to the top edge of the fascia instead. I normally use 10mm vents but 25mm ones are available if extra ventilation is required.

Below is a breakaway pic I took earlier this year, you can see the vent nailed to the top of the fascia but it's hidden behind the guttering so you won't see it when viewed from ground level.

I suspect the company are trying to get some extra work by installing the roof vents, they are certainly not installed on a standard roofline installation.

Hope the info helps!

Sponsored Links
Spot on there
thumbs_up_smiley[1].gif

Hi,

suspect the company are trying to get some extra work by installing the roof vents, they are certainly not installed on a standard roofline installation.

Thanks. The uPVC fitters were highly recommended to me by another tradesman that is straight and trustworthy.
But if they try to pressure me to have ventilation tiles fitted, I'll have to blow them out!

Over-fascia vents look the way to go...

:)

Feel free to copy/use that pic should you need to explain eaves/vents/bird combs etc to any forum users.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back