Upvc handle turning wrong direction to lock window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

The house I've moved into has what seems to be a faulty bedroom window. In order to lock the window, the handle has to be turned 90 degrees in the opposite direction. As you can imagine, you can't lock it as the handle and the window upvc frame are touching and colliding with each other.

Is there a way of altering the handle, so that in order to lock it goes 90 degrees the other way?

FYI, as an example, my window is similar to the one below and it's the right-side window that has the faulty handle:-

2012-10-02-10.47.46.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your advice crank39. I took off the handle and the lever turns both counter and anti-counter 90°, so it's actually nothing to do with the handle after all.

The issue seems to be with the lock mechanism within the window which only allowing the window handle to turn 90° clockwise and not 90° anti-clockwise. So my same question, albeit this time regarding the window rolling mechanism....can this be changed so that it allows the handle to turn 90° anti-clockwise ??? If so, how?

OK you need to turn the mechanism upside down, it could of been changed and fitted wrongly

Sponsored Links
OK you need to turn the mechanism upside down, it could of been changed and fitted wrongly

That's great, thanks.... Is there a more specific step by step guide or video that I can follow as I've never done this before?

Dead easy, take handle off and remove all self tapping screws from the mechanism, pull out and flip over and put back together. Take note though when refitting the handle that if you fit it with the lever in horizontal ie open then make sure the mechanism is in the open position to or if handle vertical then mechanism must be in locked position

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back