uPVC wall panels = What can I do with them?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

I've just bought a 40 yr old ex-local authority house. Block construction but its slightly weird (at least from my point of view) every single uPVC window is supported underneath by a large uPVC panel.

It's a mid terraced house so you can imagine its panel, downstairs window, timber (maybe 12 inches), panel, window. I reckon each panel is about 1.25m high with the window taking up the rest.

As there is no cavity wall this panel is exposed both externally and internally. I can appreciate its probably not very good in terms of insulation and was wondering what I could do other than rebuilding in block work like the rest of the walls (one of the neighbours have done this).

My initial thoughts were:

externally - some sort of wood effect cladding - these panels aren't the prettiest which is a shame given the location. This might be a more cost effective way of improving the curb appeal.

internally - I was thinking that you could build a window sill around the panels (quite a shallow depth maybe 2-4 inches including plasterboard. This would also give you a surface to fix other things to it e.g. radiators/sockets.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

I'm a first time buyer/renovator! We're planning on living here for a few years.

Sponsored Links
Leave the plastic panel and its frame in, and build a timber frame wall behind it and insulate that with 70-100mm of Celotex/Kingspan insulation board, and it will be better insulated than the walls either side

Leave the plastic panel and its frame in, and build a timber frame wall behind it and insulate that with 70-100mm of Celotex/Kingspan insulation board, and it will be better insulated than the walls either side

My neighbours actually blocked up downstairs (on the inside - theres a 15cm inset in each panel) and insulated the gap, and stud walled upstairs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back