Urgent Help - Windows will not lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just replaced 6 broken top hung window hinges. I could not get exact placements as Anglia does not supply them now, the windows are about 20 year old.

2 of the reimplements went OK and the windows seats and locks OK
However the other 4 are giving me a headache as they will not lock.
By this I mean that the window seats down OK and is square all round in the frame and looks just like the other 2 which lock correctly.
But these non -locking windows are proving difficult for me. The locking handle turns OK when the window is not fully shut and the slider goes across and appears correct, but when I try to lock the window in the closed position it starts to lock and the handle goes to about 10 past 2 and the won't go any further. These windows all locked OK before I replaced the hinges.

Please can anyone give me some advise to cure this problem, other than calling out a professional. There must be some thing silly that I am doing or have not done correctly but I am well and truly stuck.

Please help if you can spare the time.

Thank you for looking.

Sponsored Links
Raise the sashes on the hinges slightly, it sounds like they are catching on the keeps when closing

Agree the sashes are to low and the cams are catching the keeps

Thanks Kev and God for your appreciated advise.

Sorry I have to admit I don't know what the "sashes" are.

I will most certainly give it a try when I know what to do.

Thanks again for any further help.

Sponsored Links
Sashes are just a posh word for openers ;)

Right let me see if I have got this correct.

I will loosen both the side hinges at the point where they attach to the window and push the window up a little so that it seats a little higher in the opening. This way it allow the cams to clear the keeps.

Sorry to be so thick but this is all new to me as I am at the bottom of the learning curve.

This is a note to say thank you to Kev, God and Crank for their expert advise, much appreciated.

Did just as you all said, after I worked out the technical jargon, and now all my windows close and lock as they should do.

Also a big thank you to this forum for making all this possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back