URGENT....light switch wiring problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i was replacing a light switch in my house (only 8 yrs old) and come across three red wires connected to the switch, so i put them into the same places on the new switch to find that my wife hadn't turned off the mains, so when i wired it up the light came on, but shortly went off. i then found that the next door bedroom light is not working either yet all other lights in the house are, there is now no current travelling through the live feed so i do not know what to do, your advice would be much appreciated. sean

Sponsored Links
i was replacing a light switch in my house (only 8 yrs old) and come across three red wires connected to the switch, so i put them into the same places on the new switch to find that my wife hadn't turned off the mains, so when i wired it up the light came on, but shortly went off. i then found that the next door bedroom light is not working either yet all other lights in the house are, there is now no current travelling through the live feed so i do not know what to do, your advice would be much appreciated. sean

Ha Ha - Does she not like you? Or are you just heavily insured? :)

I don't know whether to attempt to help you or not - I'm fed up with amateurs fiddling about with electrics......especially if they get their wife to turn off the mains with no 'safe isolation' procedure whatsoever!!

So you've got the reds mixed up.
Anything else in the switch box (like some black wires).
If so, did you leave these as they were?

Can you take a picture and post it here. Thanks;.

PS Your wife sounds just like my first wife. Are you able to sleep at nights?

haha shes normally ok with this sort of stuff, we have done it many times in previous homes but i really cannot understand what to do now, simple fix or electritian? and would it be costly? :)
and the black wires (3-already taped with insulation tape) which i left as they were, but all i can understand at the moment is that there is no current travelling to any wires and somehow it is fed to the next bedroom. :/

Sponsored Links
Three red wires at the switch could mean that you have the live loop at the switch rather than at the ceiling rose. Or it could be part of a two way system or...the bulb could have blow and the wiring is in series.

How are the three conductors arranged at the switch?
How did you test that there were current going through the 'live feed'?
What is the arrangement at the ceiling rose?

Photographs would help - but please make sure the power is off and your wife is out of the house - with the doors locked - before you start undoing any switch covers.

haha shes normally ok with this sort of stuff, we have done it many times in previous homes but i really cannot understand what to do now, simple fix or electritian? and would it be costly? :)

Probably a simple fix - depends on how much further info you can supply - and, as requested, possibly a pic? :)

Thanks for the pictures but how were they/did you arrange the conductors.
Were there two reds in the common and one red in L1 for example or was there one red in each of the terminals.

Do you have a multimeter?

i put 2 reds into one terminal and the "live" in the other but have obvious doubts now to potentially getting the wires mixed up which i have no idea to how this could have happened but can be the only explanation:/
and no i dont have a multimeter :/

Assuming the room in question has one light, you need to connect the red that goes to the light in L1, and the remaining two reds in Com.

The two reds in Com are the feeds - that's feed in, and feed out to the next room.

Ideally you need a multimeter to find the wire to the light, and more importantly to CHECK THE POWER IS OFF. If one of the wire ends is doubled over this would suggest this in the one wire that goes on it's own.

If the switch appears to be working upside down, remove the wire from L1 and put in L2.

It is VERY IMPORTANT that the metal faceplate is connected to earth.

Have you a way of determining which of the 'reds' is the 'live' feed? (use the wife if you have to.....one good turn etc :) )

OK.

Power off.

Join all three reds together in a connector block.

Turn power on.

Does the light in the room come on, and does the light now work in the other bedroom.

If so, you have the reds mixed up. And you are gonna need a multimeter.

i put 2 reds into one terminal and the "live" in the other but have obvious doubts now to potentially getting the wires mixed up which i have no idea to how this could have happened but can be the only explanation:/
and no i dont have a multimeter :/

If the original arrangement was two reds in common and one red in L1 with the neutrals connected together then it is likely that you have the live loop coming through this switch and onto the next switch - with the switch live going to the lamp.

I take it there were no pieces of sleeving or other type of tape to indicate which was which?

Unfortunately without a multimeter it is trial and error - which I would not subscribe to.

Incidentally that looks like a metal switch - if so then you must make sure there is an earth wire from the switch to the back plate earthing terminal/other earth wires.

no this has already failed, we have used a connector block but shortly found that even with power on, there is no current whatsoever passing through any three wires or in the two wires in the next door bedroom light switch :/ this is why i am extremly confused on what to do next...

three red wires connected to the switch, so i put them into the same places on the new switch
Sure?

when i wired it up the light came on, but shortly went off.
How shortly?

With a bang or a whimper?

i then found that the next door bedroom light is not working either yet all other lights in the house are,
Are they on the same circuit?

there is now no current travelling through the live feed
Clearly not if the light isn't on, but is there a voltage present on that conductor?

Do you have a multimeter?

we have done it many times in previous homes
Have you ever actually known what you were doing, though?

but i really cannot understand what to do now,

1) If you don't have a multimeter, get one, as it is an essential tool. Without one you shouldn't do anything with your switches etc except tuen them on and off as required.

2) Learn how lighting circuits work //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting.

3) Armed with the right tools and the necessary knowledge, establish which conductors are which, and wire the switch properly.

simple fix
For whom?

or electritian?
Depends how long you want to be without lights.

and the black wires (3-already taped with insulation tape) which i left as they were,
If they were joined and held together by tape you should have known not to have left them as they were.

but all i can understand at the moment is that there is no current travelling to any wires and somehow it is fed to the next bedroom. :/
Be honest with yourself - you are out of your depth and should not be fiddling with your wiring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back