Urgent Regs Advice Needed - 37mtr2 garage built last year

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon All,

I have joined the forum to seek urgent advice on building regulations relating to the prefab garage I erected last year.

The garage is 37sqrmtr (so very large) and is on a 7" concrete base.
The garage is 700mm away from a boundary, but over 3mtrs away from any neighbourly dwelling.
Its concrete prefab with cement based roof sheets.
Garage manufacturer is lidget compton and they also installed it.

I know now that I should have applied for building regulations and have been niave.
Ive had confirmation that planning permission is not required however have made a regulatory application for building reg approval.
The council havnt inspected it yet, however are asking for more information.
One piece of info they have asked for is fire retardancy for the structure.
Lidget Compton have told me that they cannot help me with this information and I havnt pushed this with them yet.
However im interested in the reasons for this fire regulation request and wonder if anyone can help me with interpreting what the building regulations are asking.
You cant get much more retardant than prefabricated concrete and masonary can you?

Ive been looking through the other posts and cant find anything, however this seems like a great forum!!
Hope you guys can help :D

Sponsored Links
One of the rules for detached buildings is that if they are within 1m of the boundary, they must be built of "substantially non-combustible materials", but with concrete panels, you will be fine with that one.

The only other things they may query are the foundations (or slab) and proximity of windows /door to your own house. But probably not so much of a big deal.

You shouldn't have bothered with Building Control, and would have saved yourself some money and worry had you not.

Weve now decided to sell the house so need building reg sign off to sell.

The garage is over 4mtrs from the house and further from any windows so no real issues there.

Thankyou for your reply
[/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back