Urine solidifying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

A bit of a random one here, I've come across this problem a few times in my career but never known how to deal with it.

I've got to unblock some waste pipepwork (1 1/2") tomorrow that is attached to urinals. The urinals were overflowing and as a result I changed the traps and cleared the waste pipework with a length of flexible pipe. I thought I'd remedied the problem as much as I can but it appears not!

Is there any substance out there that is suitable for removing solidified urine?

Your suggestions would be great!!!!

M

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
it could be blocked right down in the 4 inch drain :eek: had one like that once SOLID :mad:

Ok, being at the sharp end of job distribution in a drainage company for 6 years should cover this one.

Avoid using sulphuric acid until you have exhausted all other options. Not only is it incredibly dangerous, more often than not it doesn't work unless you have taken measures to minimise the amount of water in the pipework/traps, it can even exacerbate the problem or at worst I have seen pipework and components melt and leak the acid all over the floor below it. We stopped using it because of it's ineffectiveness and the danger of using it.

If you do use it, pay attention to the area in which you are working and make sure the area is well ventilated and there is no way of spreading the fumes into the rest of the building first. The smell is physically asphyxiating and can cause breathing difficulty on top of being utterly vile. We accidentally cleared an entire office block because of it one time because it got into the ventilation system and spread throughout all of the offices.

The cause of the solid build-ups is urine sitting in the lines between the urinal and the drains. The problem generally lies with poorly installed pipework or inadequate flushing. If the pipework has any sagging or other places which allow urine to sit in the pipework for any length of time, it will crystalise and cause the build-up. Based on the use of the urinals, the flush system should be automated, or at least timed appropriately to reduce the amount of urine sitting in the pipes. Amount of water used during flushing can also be taken into consideration. Waterless systems that use live enzymes to break down the uric acid build up are a "nice idea" (I use that term very loosely!) but generally don't work and end up having huge problems.

The best way to descale the pipework is to use an electro-mechanical device which generally consists of a drill attached to a metal housing containing a flexible metal sprung cable which can be pulled out and pushed down the pipework while turning the drill. This cuts through and scrapes the uric acid build up off the pipework and breaks it down so that when water is poured through the system it will literally flush out the debris and clear the pipework. Care obviously has to be taken when using this method with push-fit or compression-fit pipework as it can push the pipework apart but a careful approach should be able to carry out the job without issue.

Inspect the pipework and flush system for a long term fix. If you can reduce the amount of urine sitting in the pipework, you will lessen the problem. A good cleanout should sort it for the short term though. Personally though I would strongly recommend against using any form of acid or chemical. Their effectiveness simply does not weigh up against the risk to personal and public health and safety.

PM me if you need any more info.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back