USB Modem Stick - Vodafone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has any-one used one of these please.
I sometimes spend time away from home and need just to read emails, this would seem a cheap way ?

Sponsored Links
Got a few people using them at work. Like everything else mobile the UK is never 100% covered so you will on ocassion get a much reduced data rate or sometimes even no signal.....from our experience with Vodafone at work this is quite rare.

International access is expensive and isn't included in any data allowance.....check it out if you want to use abroad.

IIRC, 3 do a good PAYG tarriff with modem.

I'm not sure if their modem is still free or cheap, but it can be unlocked and then used with other sims if need be

I connect my phone as a modem (by bluetooth or USB) and use my [free] data on my phone plan. The phone company have not been able to tell that I am using my laptop and not just the phones web browser :LOL:

I've had a T-mobile usb dongle for about a year now.

Usually a very good connection in main built up areas, 7.2mbps, but soon drops to 56 in rural areas, but still doesn't 'appear' as slow as it sounds.

I would assume that Vodafone would have better coverage generally, but then they are all as bad or good as each other generally.

Sponsored Links
my Vodafone mobile phone includes Interenet access, with a USB cable. I think they charge me 56p per day, just for the days I use it. They tried to sell me an internet-inclusive contract, but I didn't want it.

I am on it now as away from home. It claims a speed of 115kbps and is quick enough for DIYnot, ebay, mail and stuff. "Actual" was 92 kbps just now on a file I downloaded. Seems OK. One prob is that it can receive mail OK, and can send mail on virgin.net addresses, but can't send on ntlworld.com addresses. I can't see why not.

I tried using the phone itself on the net or email but the screen and keyboard are too small to be any use.

Am using 3, at £10 for 28 days, suits my present needs and has better coverage than the others (uses 3G instead of 2G..I think!)

Back