Used van

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to buy a used van, thanks for the guidance on here it's going to be a Transit.

I've seen a few on line and have spoken with the dealers, the good value vans are ex-lease, for example purchased by the dealer from 'Burnt Tree' or 'Enterprise', is it a bad idea to by an ex-rental?

I'm going to spend about £8K or £9K which means the van will still have some manufacturers warranty.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
A difficult one.....hire companies dispose of their vehicles when its economic to do so - Burnt Tree tend to hire to local authorities often enough, and Enterprise to the general public.
Either vehicle will have had many drivers, most of whom couldn't give a stuff.
I think I would consider an ex rental van, but only with a very low mileage.....less than 10k.
All will have service history, some are traded on before the first service is due. Enterprise write off their vehicles with even minor body damage.
I wouldn't buy anything thats from a local authority. Believe me, they are on their last legs (or wheels.)
By their very nature, vans are poorly treated and used as work horses - fair enough. They are a good enough product to withstand that. Private owners aren't going to let their good vans go - they are worth nowt at the end of the day as a trade in.
Wishing you all the best of luck, which ever route you take!
John :)

Thanks for he comprehensive reply Burnerman, the vans I an looking at have 35,000 to 55,000 on the clock.

I think I'll give them a miss.

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
You could go for an AA or RAC van, they might have higher mileage, but they are very well looked after.

Andy

My transit had around 45,000 on it when I purchased it from BT.

Their vans are regularly serviced and they sell them on after a fixed time period rather than mileage meaning they can be fairly high or quite low as, with mine. Can't remember exactly now but think it was two or three years when I purchased mine. They are often only driven by one person but obviously pot-luck how!

Some come with various racking, as mine did, which can be heavy as it designed to last also often have ladder and pipe racks however pipe rack is 2.4metre capacity.

Their vans often come with extras, such as central heating!! Diesel fuelled boiler on a time switch connected to cab heater which also supplies hot water to small sink at back. The vans themselves have no extras such as under-seal - they sell them on before this becomes a problem.

My current van (Combo), is an ex BT van, considering the abuse I've given it, it's been very good over my 5 years of ownership.

I'd be more than happy to take another from BT (Transit) this time, but where would I find one. The guy who sold me the combo no longer has a contract with BT.

Back