Using a competent person for drains - need to notify BC?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is for my mother's house shortly up for sale. Buyer wants new washbasins fitted in rooms that are currently toilet only and she's foolishly agreed to get it done for him :rolleyes:

One toilet has horizontal branch of iron soil stack, the other toilet is plumbed into (presumably) clay drain in concrete floor. So it seems that this would obviously seems to come under part G notifiable works.

I was offered the contract but declined as outside my limited scope of works and experience and time will be of the essence.

I suggested she use a(nother) plumber.

My understanding was that the only plumbing competent person scheme is for WRAS self-certification, not for part G, and I'm not sure that this work shouldn't, technically, go through Building Control regardless of who does the work.

I know my mother won't be bothered as long as the work gets done, but the buyer of the house might stir up mud, so best all is above board in this case.

What, if any, competency schemes would exempt this sort of work from being notifiable?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Building Control will not need to be involved if an installer registered with the Institute of Plumbing is employed, I think.

I'd get back to the buyer and tell him she's changed her mind and won't be fitting the basins. It's not legally binding and they are unlikely to pull out over it.

Sponsored Links
get 3 quotes and knock 150% of the best one off the purchase price - you don't need the hassle for a couple of hundred quid

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back