Using a light switch intended for lighting circuit on a table lamp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to use a PIR light switch to switch on and off a lamp that plugs into a socket. There are few options for PIR socket adaptors and they're not reasonably priced so I want to use this instead.

Is there some kind of plastic backing plate that this can be screwed into with appropriate strain relief on the cable? Thanks.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
You can buy deep single pattress boxes with cable clamp.

However, that item you show looks like cheap Chinese tat that's only fit for the dustbin.

Yea that looks horrible. Or you can use a standard depth box with 20mm knockouts & a cable gland. Might look a bit naff though. I think you're better off spending the extra money tbh

BBD1-QTM-large.jpg

There are few options for PIR socket adaptors and they're not reasonably priced so I want to use this instead.
Assuming that were suitable (which it isn't, and isn't even legal to be sold here), how did you envisage using it?

Where would it be installed? How would it connect to the circuit and the light?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
There are few options for PIR socket adaptors and they're not reasonably priced so I want to use this instead.
Assuming that were suitable (which it isn't, and isn't even legal to be sold here), how did you envisage using it?

Where would it be installed? How would it connect to the circuit and the light?

I'm pretty sure you know how. The live from a plug would go to the live for the switch. The switched live from the switch would go to the lamp. The same for neutral. The lamp is made of glass so no earth is needed. The sensor would sit next to the lamp.

The lamp is made of glass so no earth is needed.
An earth is not needed if the lamp is manufactured as a Class II (double insulated) item. The item itself may be glass, but the lamp holder may be made of metal and probably should be earthed.
It depends on the construction.

I'm pretty sure you know how. The live from a plug would go to the live for the switch. The switched live from the switch would go to the lamp. The same for neutral. The lamp is made of glass so no earth is needed. The sensor would sit next to the lamp.
OMG - you're thinking of having this

screenshot_869.jpg

in a pattress box along the run of flex from the light?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back