Using a light switch to make connections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The leckie I work for often uses the light switch for the feed/neutral in/out and the switch connection if access to the lighting point is not possible or impractical.

This sometimes means he may have 4/5 cables to terminate at a single switch, how does he do it.

Does anyone know where I can find a diagram to show how he does this method of wiring and for all you experienced people, is this common practice.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
How does he do it?

Ask or watch him......

You say he uses this method when he can't get access to the lighting position?

What happens if there is no neutral (extremely likely)? What then?

But, assuming he can get all the necessary conductors to the switch position, it would mean a deep box and the use of connectors to join up loop switch and neutral connections, and to be honest, I would rate it the least practical of all the lighting wiring methods, not that it is a recognised method......

what i think he means is that instead of taking feed in/out to light he takes it to switch, and a cable with sw.lv and neutral to light?

easy to do. see diagrams in for reference. all your doin is extending the cables to the fittin and loosing the switch cable

Thanks for that.

Yes, you are correct, he uses the switch as a junction box which means he only has one cable to the light and when it is impractical to gain access to the light this makes the cable routing a lot easier.

Sponsored Links
Andy Fenn said:
Thanks for that.

Yes, you are correct, he uses the switch as a junction box which means he only has one cable to the light and when it is impractical to gain access to the light this makes the cable routing a lot easier.

TBH. the same effort would have to go in to gettin the cables there. its just as easy to pull 3 cables in as it is to pull 1 in (unless they come from different directions)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back