Using a security light switch and a normal light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed a security light switch (that turns on the light at night) and replaced it with a normal light switch.

What i would like to do is, put the security light switch near the front door (where it can't be seen from the livingroom, basically because it doesn't match the decor) but for it to be connected to the same light that it was previously connected to.

So 1 light with 2 switched (normal and security) but not in a two way switching setup.

Is it ok to do this?

Sponsored Links
Smudgey said:
I have removed a security light switch (that turns on the light at night) and replaced it with a normal light switch.
Why was it originally a security switch?

So 1 light with 2 switched (normal and security) but not in a two way switching setup.
How do you want the two switches to work? You have two choices:

1) 2-way switching, so that either switch will toggle the light irrespective of the position of the other.

2) 2 switches in series so that they both have to be on for the light to come on. Which seems an odd requirement.

I work strange shifts, so fitted the security light switch in the living room so the light came on at night. But while decorating it wouldn't fit the new decor.

Can two switches be put in parallel? The main switch would be used for times when i am in the house. The security switch just when i leave by the front door.

The problem with putting them in parrallel is if the new switch is triac/scr based, it might not be too happy to have volts appearing on its output out of nowhere. It shouldn't be a problem if it uses a relay though. FWIW, series might also cause a problem, it might derive the power for workings by drawng it through the switched off lamp

I can see this going down the rute of needing a changeover contactor and wireing conventional two way layout, the problem is that leave the wall switch set wrong and you'll invert your time programe...

Sponsored Links
Smudgey said:
I work strange shifts, so fitted the security light switch in the living room so the light came on at night. But while decorating it wouldn't fit the new decor...

An infinitely simpler solution would be to have a table lamp, standard lamp or uplighter plugged into a convenient socket, with a plug-in timeswitch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back