Using jigsaw, planer and impact drill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't feel competent with these power tools. To start with, what safety precautions do you need to take with them? With the impact drill I used one for the first time and drilled the screw way too quickly through the cheap plastic coated chipboard. I woukld never have done this with my usual drill as I am used to it.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
An impact driver is OTT for MFC.
Thought that the OP had sais "impact drill"

With the impact drill I used one for the first time and drilled the screw way too quickly through the cheap plastic coated chipboard. I woukld never have done this with my usual drill as I am used to it.
Firstly, are these corded tools or cordless? And do you mean impact drill as opposed to impact driver ? I also have to ask what speed you were using. Most of the impact drills I've used have two speeds, a high speed (2) and a low speed (1). When drilling timber and light metals such as aluminium I'd expect to use the higher speed unless the drill bits are very large (over say 25mm diameter for wood and over 12mm for metal) but for screwdriving I'd expect to use the lower speed range. Impact drills also have a facility to switch the hammer (impact) action on and off. The hammer action is meant to be used only for drilling masonry (blockwork, bricks, concrete, stone, etc) and it needs to be turned off when drilling wood or metals and when screwdriving. Finally, have you RTMd? (read the manual?)

In which case if it is an impact driver maybe he should take it back and get himself a nice 2-speed combi drill? Far more controllable

Can't disagree with that. And if it is an impact (percussion) drill and he wants to screw in screws, he should take that back and get a combi drill too.

In which case if it is an impact driver maybe he should take it back and get himself a nice 2-speed combi drill? Far more controllable

All cordless except the planer.

Make any difference?

One like this-

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcf886n-xj-18v-li-ion-xr-cordless-impact-driver-bare/6905G?kpid=6905G&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product Listing Ads-_-Sales Tracking-_-sales tracking url&gclid=CP7Z5e25zdACFRS6Gwod_nULVA

Maybe I should just stick to my combi drill, I am much more comfortable with. When and what sort of jobs would I use a drill like the one above?

Last edited:
Regarding using a jigsaw and an electric planer, before I start using these regularly are there any safety precautions I take and how dangerous are they? I guess they don't kick back as dangerously as a circular saw. I was watching my friend on the jigsaw and he has his right hand on the trigger and left on the front of the jigsaw and gets down really close to it to make sure he's following the guide line.

He had an accident last year where he got his index finger jammed in bit that goes up and down at some ridiculous RPM above the blade and broke the bone in the top of his finger. Lucky for him he didn't get it in the blade!

He wears no PPE or hearing protection or goggles and neither did the other chippy. I suspect all this fathing around in their eyes slows you down.

I have to wear ear protection as I had tinnitus.

Last edited:
The impact driver is for when you need really high torque. Slightly on the niche side for general DIY. I rarely use mine, as you say, a combi drill is often easier and more appropriate.

To jigsaw safely beside the obvious eye and ear protection:

Make sure your work is held down securely, make sure the blade is in properly and runs in the guide, make sure you keep the cable out of the way so that it cannot fall in the path of the blade and won't snag either.

Take your time, don't push too hard - let the tool do the work. Keep your hand out of the way. You may find you need to keep blowing to get the dust out of the way to see your pencil line.

For a good cut, steer gently, and aim to steer from the back of the saw, if that makes sense. Don't push hard sideways because you'll end up with a very wiggly cut on the underside.

Use the right blade for the job and make sure it's sharp. If your cutting something that has a finished surface like worktop or similar, use a "reverse" cut blade.

as for PPE - can't go wrong protecting your eyes whatever you're doing.

Hand protection...well I tend to avoid gloves when using power tools (unless really needed) - too many chances for the gloves to cause an accident (or make much worse)!

Always keep two hands on the planer or like me you could end up with a square finger.))

"You Tube" is a place you can look
for demonstrations on how to use power tools without cutting your fingers off.

As far as the impact driver is concerned, I have little de Walt 18volt with variable trigger speed, I fit kitchens amongst other things and use this drill for 16mm to 100mm screws all day long. But for a DIYer combi's are fine just a little heavy though.

Use finer tooth blades in the jigsaw They are less likely to rip the wood and are far safer if you have a slip.

My impact driver is my go to tool these days and the combination drill is used mainly for drilling . It takes a bit of practice, but you should be able to use it for just about any assembly job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back