Using Pushfit and plastic pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The cold has caused 2 of my neighbour's garden taps to start leaking dramatically ...both were insulated - mine isn't.......
Made me look to see if I had an isolating valve on mine - only to discover I don't.

(One of my neighbours discovered their kitchen fitters re-plumbed so that the garden tap bypasses the stopcock ...:eek: they have had to call out the emergency plumber...)

My tap outside and piping is copper/brass but the run to it inside is plastic with a couple of pushfit elbow joints....there is a stretch I could fit an isolator on but I've no experience of this stuff...

How do I disconnect the joints? Can I reuse them?

Do I really need to pay £15/16 for a special pipe cutter? And if I get one of these would I be able to cut a section of the pipe out where it is and not have to disturb the joints? Using a pushfit 'service valve'.

Or I probably have a length of 15mm copper that I could replace the
plastic with ...thinking put a standard compression isolator on it and connect up to the elbows...
Any tips /advice gratefully received...looking to tackle this job asap...
(no point insulating the tap just now - it must already be frozen)
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Some plastic joints can be dismounted, but there are some that are permanent.....I choose to leave these alone!
I think I'd be cutting the length of plastic pipe thats easy to access, and install a metal lever ball valve to isolate the tap outside.
However, when you cut plastic pipes the end needs to be pretty square, ideally, and you must use an insert inside the pipe to prevent it from being crushed.
By using copper olives instead of brass ones, you'll get a good seal onto the plastic. Often the manufacturers name is written on the side of the pipe to help you with the identification. The outer diameter will always be 15mm - its the inner diameter that tends to vary - hence the need for a nice snug insert.
John :)

I've got a basic (cheap) copper tube cutter - one of the little ones you have to rotate around the pipe - I think I can wiggle the pipe enough to use that - should that work?

And are you saying that a compression fitting metal isolating valve should work - if I use copper olives and the correct pipe inserts...

I'd be much happier if it was in copper...

Thanks...

Sponsored Links
Sorry, your copper pipe slice won't work on plastic....Speedfit do the proper tool but so long as you cut the end square it will be ok. Use a junior hacksaw and pare any bits remaining away with a knife.
Everything else will be fine - I keep a variety of inserts so as long as its a snug fit inside the plastic pipe that will be fine too. Speedfit use plastic ones - other makes use stainless steel.
Copper olives are easier to compress than brass ones so that can be an advantage as plastic is softer than copper!
Obviously you can use plastic isolator valves too if you want - but compression fittings are just that little more secure.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back