Using self adhesive vinyl tiles to cover a table-top?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, this is my first time posting so I hope I am in the right section and that someone can help me with my DIY relating decorating question. I am considering using self-adhesive vinyl floor tiles to cover a table.

I'm not 100% sure what the table top I will be covering is made of - it's glossy white, and the manufacturer lists its as polyurethane lacquer which doesn't mean a huge amount to me. It's this table: http://www.gomodern.co.uk/store/flip-2-fold-out-coffee-console-dining-table.html but I got it from Harveys for a much better price!

My question is whether it's a good idea to cover it with self-adhesive vinyl (for both decorative and protective purposes) and also whether, further down the line, I can remove the vinyl tiles without damaging the table top/leaving traces of adhesive behind.

Any advice/thoughts very gratefully received.

Sorry that I'm so vague and untechnical - I'm a first time home owner so a lot of things are very new to me. Hopefully if I hang out here a little longer I will improve. If I'm putting this post in the wrong section, let me know!

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Not sure why you would want to spend over a thousand on a table just to cover with floor tiles? Personally speaking I'd keep my eye out for an old table to cover it if that's the kind of look you are after.

That said, no, I'd not cover it with floor tiles (but then I'd not cover it all!) The space in between will get dirty with general use and be hard to clean/keep hygienic. You can get sheets of vinyl instead and cut to size? You can see rolls of it at B&Q with various patterns. And the residue left behind if you remove it would probably depend on what glue you used in the first place and what solvent you use to remove the residue. I should imagine tho that it would be ok.

Hi Blightyman,

thanks for your response. I didn't actually spend over a £1000 on the table. As I mentioned in my post I got it from a different retailer. For much less than half the price!

The reason I'm looking at covering it is that it gets damaged easily, scuffs etc and I want to keep it looking good so I am just playing with ideas on how to do that. The current look of the table is fine (although I bought it more for its excellent functionality than its style) but I just thought if I could turn it into an interesting feature in the room, why not?

Your advice is really really helpful - much appreciated and I will definitely be following it.

I came across something that was invented a number of years back to protect table surfaces...if I remember correctly it was called a...TABLECLOTH!! :p :LOL:

But, seriously, as mentioned, I really wouldn't try to cover the surface with anything that has an adhesive as it will ruin it and will never come off without leaving a mess behind. If you absolutely do need to protect it then why not use Fablon, which is the type of thing I think blightymam was referring to.

Sponsored Links
Hi Misterhelpful,
Very helpful indeed! Thank you.

I'm trying to find a decorative solution because while the plain white table looks fine, I didn't buy it for it's appearance so I am happy to cover up the white. Most of the time it functions as a low coffee table rather than a fully extended and raised dining table so a cloth is a bit trickier to source.

I will definitely look into fablon though - sounds like a wonderful solution.

Use the table as it is, should it look shabby in a few years, deal with the problem then.
Why cover what is good now?
In 2/3 years, you could rub it down & paint/floor tiles vinyl or ceramic/new sheet of ply, endless.
This is like people that used to buy a 3 piece & put covers all over it, the springs went but didn't the fabric look great.

Tablecloth - perfect! :D Or a couple different sizes for however you have the table?!

In all seriousness tho, I had a look at the table you bought with your link and I would be very careful about covering it with something - best check how much space you have otherwise the covering could stop the mechanisms closing the table into your coffee table etc. It looks pretty snug and perhaps not enough room for floor tiles etc to be stuck on top!

Thanks Mister, fablon is what I was thinking of. :cool:

blightyman that's a good point - I double checked and we'd only be covering the upper surface of the table. Additionally, when the table is fully extended (the hinges are down the long side) and raised, the covered portion would be on the underside and wouldn't affect the mechanism.

diyisfun good point - thank you. Perhaps I will be back here in a few years again asking for more suggestions! :LOL:

generally the votes seem to becoming in for a tablecloth. Duly noted!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back