Using trolley jack instead of standard car jack

mcv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Is it ok to use a trolley jack on the usual mount points on the sill?
Just for changing wheels etc, dont like that wind up thing.
Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
I think this depends on the type of vehicle you need to lift, some of these in-car jacks and mounting points leave a lot to be desired, but, are improving with age. Some sill mounting points will accept a trolly jack, i usually prefer to use a chassis rail or a sturdy part underneath. You're Haynes manual or owners book should identify jacking points. Just to ere on the side of caution please do not enter the underside of a vehicle only supported by a scissor jack or trolly jack, the use of axle stands cannot be recommended strongly enough!! Alternativly, use a set of ramps if the wheels dont need removing ;)

I use a block of wood that fits in the 'cup' of the trolley jack to prevent damage to jacking points. Been jacking up cars, for maintenance, like this for years, no probs.

As the jack begins to take the weight it tends to move. I keep a close eye that it is still on the jacking point and not exerting pressure on the floor or any trim.

You can use a trolly jack anywhere as long as it a JACKING POINT.

Sponsored Links
Diyisfun said:

Not so, trolley jacks can be used in lots of places. As long as you choose a place that will support the weight of the car without doing any damage and, is safe. Don't forget the axle stands.

Stivino said:
Diyisfun said:

Not so, trolley jacks can be used in lots of places. As long as you choose a place that will support the weight of the car without doing any damage and, is safe. Don't forget the axle stands.

Hence my reference to the chassis rail ;)

I agree with you Millerman, iain90210 also made a good point about the jack moving as do the axle stands when the trolley jack starts putting the weight on them. I usually tap them square with my hammer. Not to put too fine a point on it, DIYisfun's post wasn't helpful.

Thanks for the help,
done a google search first but really only got stories of people putting holes in floors etc.

Sponsored Links
Back