VAG-COM or VCDS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I might be about to inherit a 2004 petrol 1.6 Touran. It's an absolute shed and has been laid up for several years after breaking down. I managed to get it to start a few weeks ago and it sounded absolutely awful (timing chain) at first but shut up after a few minutes, so I'm uessing an oil-starved tensioner or something?

Anyway, it had plenty of warning lights on, so I was wondering about whether to bother taking the job on or just telling them to scrap it. Seems a shame as it's sound udnerneath.

I was wondering about equipping myself with some diagnostic software. Does anyone know anything about VAG-COM or VCDS? Looking online, they seem to be the things to use. I have a suitable laptop and might even have an OBD-to-USB lead somewhere...

Sponsored Links
May just be in need of an oil change or two, worth trying some cheapish oil in there for a flush and see how it sounds first. Make sure it meets the specs for the engine.
I was under the impression vag com/vcds are the same thing?
Ive not used it but have used vaux com and that was very good, you need to weigh up the cost of buying versus usage really as its a lot to lay out just to read a few codes now and again. Plus it can only be used on vag cars.
Something like this may suit you better, its highly unlikely you would use the vag software for its full capabilities anyway, and only makes sense if you have a few cars in the family.
http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_ENG327P.html

Sponsored Links
Back