Vailant ecotec 28...Intermittent buzzing noise

So the Vailant engineer came out last Friday & as luck had it, the boiler was droning away. It was a Bypass/Diverter valve. He said they fail due to bad design & being made out of a soft metal...eg Brass.
I couldn't help but feel sorry for the poor guy. His daily work load targets were ridiculous. It's a wonder stuff gets done properly they're under that much pressure !!
Anyway thanks for the info guys. It was very helpful :)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I couldn't help but feel sorry for the poor guy. His daily work load targets were ridiculous. It's a wonder stuff gets done properly they're under that much pressure !!
how many jobs a day does he have to do ? what do you mean by targets ?

He has 50mins allowed for each job, around 10 jobs per day over a widespread area. He said one job turned out to be 4hrs long, but he still has to complete the days quota even if he works late.
He said he works till 10pm or later some days. He was def a stressed out individual.

A stressed out idiot by the sounds of it...they do the trade no favours working that way. Needs to grow some....
On the other hand if you enjoy the job and earn overtime fair enough....100 hours a week for me at one time (y)

I know what I'd be telling Vaillant if I had a 50min job turn into a 4.5 hour one!

Do you know if it was a black plastic diverter valve or a brass one?

Biasi expected most warrantee jobs to be done within 30 minutes. That usually was enough apart from some like changing a hydro block or anything which needed a bit of time to diagnose.

I met a Vaillant engineer in a country location some while ago who seemed to have a reasonable 5-6 jobs a day but that was meant to be a rural location with longer travelling times.

10 a day sounds like a peak time workload in a built up area and likely to need overtime.

The diverter valve casing was black plastic & the bypass spring assembly inside was brass. It was the brass bit that was rattling about causing the noise.
This guy covers Manchester to West Yorks, Leeds Ilkley etc, so has a wide area to cover. He said it even throws him out if he has to trail back to his van.
Dont know if he was exaggerating, but he def was stressed out

He has 50mins allowed for each job, around 10 jobs per day over a widespread area.
50 mins per job , that is his 8 hrs completed without any travelling time being taken into consideration , no wonder he is working late everyday .

Dont know if he was exaggerating, but he def was stressed out
problem is these office people sitting behind the computer organising jobs don't have a clue in some companies ( taking travelling time into consideration ) e.g the company i work for now :rolleyes:(n) .
i feel there could be some truth in what he is saying but don't know about vaillant thou

When you work for 'the man' you're just a cell on a spreadsheet... did that for 3 years, until I grabbed one of the directors by the throat :) - it didn't get me fired, but I left soon after, of my own accord...

He expected me to pierce about 10,000 holes back into a metal ceiling tile that he'd had a firm spraypaint on site, which clogged the holes; I was issued with a bag of 4" nails to do it with; the holes were about 2mm diameter; he confronted me at 05:30 next morning, at the yard, after I'd refused to do it - what would you have done? :mad:

Are you gas safe registered dilalio?...
If so have you thought about joining the CC?

Are you gas safe registered dilalio?...
If so have you thought about joining the CC?

I'd love to be able to come into the CC Steel, but no, I'm not "Gas Safe" - Yet! My colleague is and we work together a lot.
My goal for this year is to get GS, just need the time (unpaid) and the money for the course.

When you work for 'the man' you're just a cell on a spreadsheet... did that for 3 years, until I grabbed one of the directors by the throat :) - it didn't get me fired, but I left soon after, of my own accord...

He expected me to pierce about 10,000 holes back into a metal ceiling tile that he'd had a firm spraypaint on site, which clogged the holes; I was issued with a bag of 4" nails to do it with; the holes were about 2mm diameter; he confronted me at 05:30 next morning, at the yard, after I'd refused to do it - what would you have done? :mad:

Found a use for some of those nails.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back