Vaillant boiler - identifying model and error code

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I had a Vaillant combi boiler which is about 10 years old.

There are 3 lights on the front of the boiler - red, yellow and green. The heating and hot water are working fine. However when just the heating is on, the light is constantly solid yellow. When the hot water is turned on (and heating) it switches to a green flashing light (yellow goes off). After a few seconds (with water still on) the yellow constant light returns with an additional green flashing light until the water is turned off.

Pressing the information button displays the code 5.4

I can't seem to identify the model of the boiler (there are no obvious stickers that I can see) and therefore can't find any way of looking up what this error means.

Can anyone advise how I indentify the model or can shed any light on what this error means?

Thanks,
Bryan

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the older VCW combi.

The lights you mention are indicating the operation the boiler is performing. ie, green light flashing = hot water mode and the amber light is telling you the burner is firing.

The 5.4 is again an operational code.

Its a vaillant turbomax plus. The yellow is burner, the green light is hot water, it continues to flash while it does preheat. You can turn the preheat off, just turn the hw dial fully off, turn back to set position and the green light should then only come on when you open a tap.

Sounds like the older VCW combi.

The lights you mention are indicating the operation the boiler is performing. ie, green light flashing = hot water mode and the amber light is telling you the burner is firing.

The 5.4 is again an operational code.

long time no post craig,hope your well.

Sponsored Links
Thank you all for your replies.

I gather this is all perfectly normal then and the error code is nothing to worry about.

Turbomax does ring a bell and sounds right.

I've heard mixed reviews about Vaillant boilers (I have absolutely no idea) so would welcome opinions if they're good or not (I may be looking to rent my house out so want to make sure it's a good one).

Finally, it's under no warranty whatsoever but I get regular flyers from Vaillant asking me to take cover out. Anyone had any experience with them (or similar) or am I better off just calling a plumber if/when it fails?

Thanks very much again - you guys have really put my mind at rest!

Bryan

very reliable boiler, keep it. Service cover with vaillant would guarantee efficient repairs as the engineers would have parts on the van and knowledge of the appliance, however given that its quite reliable it may not seem economical.

Thanks MickyG.

Will have a think about the warranty.

Thanks all for your input.

Cheers,
Bryan

That 5.4 is a status report and not an error code. Says burner is ignited !

You dont need to be bothered about what its doing. But if you wanted to become overinterested and paranoid about your boiler then you could download the manual.

If you start fiddling with the settings you could mess it up so its not recommended if the boiler is doing whats expected.

They are generally a very reliable boiler so a competent independent would be a more economical solution than any annual cover.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back