Vaillant boiler problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Have recently bought a house with a Valliant combi boiler ecoMax 828 installed as well as a Megaflow system, two issues

1) When heating is on no hot water downstairs, hot water upstairs is great but comes from Megaflow. Presume hot water downstairs is from combi. When heating is off hot water will come through downstairs but we have to run water for a long time. Boiler is located in cellar

2) There is no piping running from the Pressure Release Valve to the outside. Apparently this could cause a problem if the valve goes as water will run into the cellar. How urgent is this problem to fix as no money due to move and presume it will be costly to pipe out as boiler not on external wall!

Any ideas\suggestions welcome, BTW don't be an idiot like me and get these things checked before you buy the house!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Only you can decide how urgent the lack of combi hot water may be. There could be several causes and obviously that needs to be diagnosed first. Probably cost between £100-£200.

If the boiler is in a non occupied cellar then one could say that the lack of a PRV vent is not that important as the worsat that could happen is that 80 litres of hot water could be deposited on the floor.

If kids play there then it becomes very dangerous!

Tony

Thanks for the advice, got boiler insurance from Homeserve guys and they told me the hot water problem was due to an installation issue and therefore I'm not covered for the work.

Just to give you bit more info

With heating on no hot water from tap
With heating off hot water comes through after a long period of time
Hot water is hotter when the flow is down, with high flow water is just luke warm.

Does this sound like an installation issue to you or just a fault? Paid for insurance so I didn't get any unexpected bills and now they won't fix the problem :(

Thanks again

Without diagnosing the fault I cannot make any guess.

However, the combi action of the boiler takes precedence over the heat so I would have expected it to be a boiler fault.

The Homeserve people are not very clever and probably dont understand how a combi works with a cylinder.

Tony

Sponsored Links
sounds about right, guy just kept on about why combi was installed with megaflow system and it should have been a system boiler.

Didn't inspire confidence that he knew what he was talking about and when we pushed him he just threatened to shut it down because of the PRV issue. Cellar isn't used and while I don't want 80 litres of hot water on the floor worse things happen at sea.

Don't suppose you no anybody in SE7 who does know what they are talking about, because I've spoken to the insurance people and only way to get my money back is prove them wrong. Great service Homeserve!

Many thanks

sounds like a diverter valve fault part no 252457. ;)

If you cannot find anyone local then you could contact me throught my profile and email me but do put the full address in the email subject.

Tony

sounds about right, guy just kept on about why combi was installed with megaflow system and it should have been a system boiler.

why ive done a few of them you feed the kitchen with the combi and the bathroom off the cylinder

the man is talking carp ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back