Vaillant Boiler Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I have a Vaillant EcoTec sealed system boiler. It was installed last year. I also have three CH zones all run by wireless thermostats, and finally a control panel.

I have noticed that when the control panel shuts off the CH, the boiler still runs and the rads are still being warmed (I can't say now long for but I know the boiler eventually shuts down). I assumed that they must be a problem (since surely the boiler shouldn't be powered if the control panel has shut off the CH?).

However, I've noticed a flashing egg timer symbol on the boiler. On reading the user manual, it says:

"Boiler anti-cycling time is active.
This function is used to prevent frequent on/off
operations, and therefore contributes to prolonging
the life of your boiler.
The symbol also appears if the boiler is in a waiting
period."

Unfortunately, it doesn't say much more and so whilst it seems that actually I don't have a problem, I can't be sure based on the what the manual says.

Does anyone know if based on my description, the boiler is operating normally?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
It's working fine that's just the pump overrun, the boiler needs a permant live to it to dissipate heat.

If wired correctly, the last zone valve to close will turn the boiler off. So then, as Bunnyman says, the boiler will turn off the burner, and the pump will continue for around 5 minutes. When you say 'control panel', do you mean a programmer? Also, does the boiler heat a hot water cylinder, or is it a combi?

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, by control panel, I mean programmer. It does heat a hot water cylinder (not a combi).

But the CH runs for longer than 5 mins after the programmer shuts down. I wondered if the wireless thermostat controller had failed and wasn't shutting down the boiler. And then I read about the 'anti-cycling' feature and assumed it was that that was allowing the CH to keep running even after the controller had turned the CH off?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
OK, if all your channels on the programmer (HW and Heating) are turned off, and the boiler is then turned off, then on after 10 seconds by the on/off button on the front, the boiler should be silent after an initial self test run of the pump (2-4secs).

If the boiler operates and fires then the external controls are wired incorrectly, or the 24V link has been left in at the boiler.

There are different questions to be asked however if you have a Vaillant controller.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back