vaillant condensing boiler flue extension

FNG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

I have a Vaillant condensing combi boiler with a flue that comes out of the side of the house

however I am building a car port on that side and the extract flue is just below the car ports roof line and reasonably close to the structural joists.

So often the flue is discharging the hot damp air onto the frame and I want to move the flue away.

I can't move the boiler or it's extract through the wall but next door has a periscope thing on theirs which lifts it straight up about 2 foot which would be perfect for me.

This is my flue

This is my neighbors

So what do I need in order to achieve this?

Do I need Vallient parts because the stuff I have seen is horrifically expensive.

I haven't seen any kits, do they make them or would I have to scratch build it with an elbow, pipe, clips etc.

Also, how easy is it to detach the visible part to add the extension on?

Is it worth getting a plumber in to do the job and what are the pitfalls of doing it myself

TIA

FNG

Sponsored Links
Are you gas safe registered? If not, then you cannot legally do it yourself. If you do anything wrong then you are potentially causing the boiler to be dangerous. Not for DIY, I'm afraid.

For a start the boiler flue shouldn't be under a car port in the first place unless it has at least 2 open ends and is 200mm from the roof of it. If it doesn't have this then your boiler is already dangerous as it can cause a build up of fumes (carbon monoxide included).

Yes you must use Vaillant parts, it's not allowed to mix different manufacturers flue parts under any circumstances. It comes as a kit although extra bits can be added on if the flue length is calculated properly (another reason not to do it yourself).

Well the downside is that anything to do with gas or combustion needs to be done by a gas registered engineer.

It is also slightly questionable if the inlet can remain under a carport if the outlet is extended above it.

Tony

It is also slightly questionable if the inlet can remain under a carport if the outlet is extended above it.

I'm pretty sure it's OK as long as there are the two open ends and clearances are met etc. Have seen it done a few times.

Sponsored Links
the flue is not under the car port, yes that would be silly.

the current flue is level to the top part of the roof and 6 inches outside it

but that is still too close imo and the steam occasionally blows onto the outer most joist
the car port is also still under construction and there is no roof on it but I am thinking ahead to when it is roofed in a couple of weeks.

I was not aware that you have to be licensed in relation to amendments to the external part end of the flue.

I could easily just put a shield over the end of the wood

but thanks your advice anyway

FNG

I think I'd be happier getting it venting further away,

the issue is mainly when the wind blows it back and across and can't see a change in direction from just the flue making that much difference in those circumstances

obviously the wind isn't always blowing so it's just me being extra cautious but if you are going to do something, I like to do it properly.

by the way, if I was trained/certified I'd hope I would not be posting basic questions here!

FNG

Sorted (hopefully!)

The wisdom of Google tells me I need a plume management kit.

The wisdom of my missus tells me I need to contact Grumpy Dave the plumber on Monday.

Thanks for the advice :D

Aaah but that's Grumpy Dave's job to sort out now, Google has just pointed me in the right direction (plume deflector kit?) ;)

If you damage a flue seal you will produce enough CO to kill your family in no time.

Please don't attempt it yourself.

It will be an easy job for grumpy Dave (assuming he is gas safe registered) and he will have the equipment to test that it is working safely afterwards

The combustion settings must be checked after working on the flue as well as the integrity.

Lengthening the flue might also necessitate tweaking them as well.

DO NOT THINK THAT YOU CAN DIY THIS WORK FFS.

How many times do you have to be told?

And stop calling it a plume management kit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back