Vaillant ecotec combi boiler fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.. I have a vaillant ecotec exclusive combi boiler which has stopped producing hot water.. the central heating side works fine and there is no error code on the display. I have reset the boiler several times. At the self test stage the display reads DHW mode DEMAND burners on but no taps are open and this then turns into DHW OVERRUN. Is this some sort of pressure switch fault in the boiler? If I open the taps at this stage I get hot water but burners are not on fully and water only gets to 39 degrees.. once the taps are off it reverts to DHW overrun again..

Sponsored Links
With that boiler all I can suggest is that you call a gas registered engineer as that model is not suitable for DIY repairs.

Tony

I kind of figured that would be the case and I do have it insured but when this was first fitted I had engineers out to it six times and on each occasion they had to replace the pump.. they were inferior models that they kept replacing and when I threatened to go to consumer direct to start procedures to get a full refund they swapped the inferior pump for a grundfoss one.. problem solved.. when I bought it I was told it was one of their elite models and it was expensive... I would never have another vaillant..

They started to use a cheaper Wilo pump instead of their previous Grunfoss pump.

They were more susceptible to dirt in the system.

But even so the failure was still as a result of dirt as the bearings are of plastic instead of the ceramic used but the more expensive Grunfoss pump.

The installer should have properly cleaned the system and usually that needs a power flushing pump and appropriate chemicals.

Whilst it was a retrograde step to use the Wilo pump, many other boilers still use them with no problems as long as the system is properly cleaned.

Tony

Sponsored Links
They started to use a cheaper Wilo pump instead of their previous Grunfoss pump.

But even so the failure was still as a result of dirt as the bearings are of plastic instead of the ceramic used but the more expensive Grunfoss pump.

The installer should have properly cleaned the system and usually that needs a power flushing pump and appropriate chemicals.

Whilst it was a retrograde step to use the Wilo pump, many other boilers still use them with no problems as long as the system is properly cleaned.

Tony
ecoTEC Exclusives never had Wilo pumps Tony. They used a fully modulating DC pump from Laing. It was plagued with electrical problems that also lead to PCB faults, just replacing the pump and not the PCB could lead to further pump problems. It was very similar technically to the current ErP multi speed Grundfos. A later ecoMAX/turboMAX Grundfos pump was a fixed speed alternative.

OP You have an Aquasensor/loom/PCB problem. Best calling Vaillant, an exclusive has at least five year warranty.

That's interesting, luckily I have never seen one.

Presumably they were withdrawn before too many had been sold to plague the unfortunate owners.

Biasi and a few other makers tried a permanent magnet DC pump made by Ascol (?) which were not very reliable.

Tony
So you haven't actually seen one then???

I have seen one in a boiler but was not there for anything pump related.

Apparently just as well!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back