Vaillant ecotec plus 615 issues - caught b/w Vaillant & Installer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,

The boiler was installed in May, 2015. it has created problems from day 1, at the bottom is the previous issue I had posted. The gas valve and the 'electronic plate' were replaced at the end of that incident and things ran fine from October till about 20th Dec.

1. After the replacement of the gas valve, the boiler started doing this vibration & loudly at that - audible in every room of a 2 bed small flat. it happens 4-5 times in a day. On some occasions i can see sometimes there is a correlation between heating being turned on or off & the noise. But there are occasions where I cant establish a cause and effect. informed installer.he said he will come come around but before he could - I saw a leak in the flu (it's a 5 metre long flu which runs from kitchen to outside wall through false ceiling in living). I couldnt help but wonder that the vibration caused flu to vibrate and thus joins becoming loose & leak.

2. installer finally came around and said that fixing flu leakage is his responsibility but for the vibration I should speak with Vaillant. Said Valillant engineer who replaced the gas valve in Oct, needs to adjust the amount of gas that goes in.

3. Flu leak fixing - he will replace a portion of the flu length in next couple of days.

4. Vaillant engineer examined 'the water' and said that water was too dark. He left saying do a power flush & possibly magna clean. Said AFTER that Vaillant might consider coming around again to take a look. He said that noise and vibration IS DUE to the dark water. I was charged 90 quid call out.

5. Installer disagreed with Vailant. Says chemical flush was done during installation & he used x100 and that Vaillant is just making excuses. Says power flush is not required. Ranted about pipe sizes and that chemical is is causing the dark water & not filth. I dont believe a word of what my installed says anymore.

6. Powerflush & magnaclean is going to be about 400 quid. My installer is refusing to sort it out. I dont want to take someone's livelihood away from them, worst thing to do. But this person is seriously driving me towards it with his incompetency. He works with someone who is registered with gas safe but he himself doesnt. the person who is registered with gas safe does the endorsing and says that they work together.

Can you advise me?

A) Would you recommend powerflush and/or magnaclean? Is there any truth in what my installer is saying - the dark water being due to chemical? If it's needed i will get it done & before you say - though through a different installer

B) After powerflush wiill Vaillant fix the vibration problem? Assuming powerflush doesnt do it? Is my warranty even valid now?

PS: I had posted on //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/5...ue-installer-acting-dodgy-please-help.443788/ last time. that bit was sorted out by the installer who owned up to it. I left it at that & boiler ran fine for sometime.

Sponsored Links
ah so it turns out your installer is an illegal gas fitter!

They are a team and the person who is gas safe registered took the ownership when I confronted him.
Whats your opinion on dark water causing vibration in boiler and magna clean being of any use?

doesn't matter if they are a "team" if your guy worked on his own unsupervised he is working illegally as is the guy signing of his work.

Sponsored Links
You could drain some dark water out and put it in a glass bottom container. If particles sink to the bottom over a few hours then its muck, if the water remains tea coloured with no debris in the bottom then its inhibitor. If he's replacing a section of flue then its cut too short and probably the reason for the noise, otherwise he would just come back with a couple of quid seal.

Just a thought but u said the flue runs through a false ceiling in the living room, hence its a void i do hope there are inspection hatches

Just a thought but u said the flue runs through a false ceiling in the living room, hence its a void i do hope there are inspection hatches

Yes, there are 4 hatches approx 1 meter apart. thats how detection of point of leakage was relatively straight forward.

A chemical flush using X100 (this is inhibitor) is very little good on a dirty system.

£400 for a powerflush and Magnaclean is too cheap, and it is almost impossible to clear a Vaillant Giannoni heat heat exchanger (due to parallel paths), if this is the cause of the noise.

If the Vaillant service tech is right, you'd be better off starting again with a new boiler frankly, and getting someone with a powerflush machine.

A chemical flush using X100 (this is inhibitor) is very little good on a dirty system.

If the Vaillant service tech is right, you'd be better off starting again with a new boiler frankly, and getting someone with a powerflush machine.

new boiler has crossed my mind but as you can imagine is probably the last resort. i the installation was done in may, 2015. so if i were to buy the same new vaillant boiler again, can the existing flu be used? design of the property requires the entire living room roof to be cut through for flu...

Without seeing it we don't know what you problem is.

I have not read the previous thread.

Its rare for gas valves to need changing. When they are the combustion needs to be set up properly.

The noise MAY be caused by a wrong combustion setting rather than a blocked loop on the heat exchanger. That could be checked by any RGI and including the installer, or at least the gas registered one!

Tony

The flue has been fixed today. there was an elbow shaped turn in the flue where 2 longer pipes were joined by a curved piece. That join is where the leak was. there was a black colour rubber ring inside which appeared slightly battered in a small portion. installer has replaced that join and extended the join to elongate the curve. He reckoned there was too much pressure on the single joint that existed earlier.

He insisted on doing a 'flush' (not power) today if i was going to pay him 20 for the inhibitor!! Once flue was fixed I asked him to leave.

However he took the water out and I collected it in a glass and let it settle for about 30 minutes. when i put it against light, the water is Tea colored. I don't see any mud or sludge at the bottom of the glass. Attaching a picture here. Also, I checked all 7 radiators today. they are warm across the surface area. there are no cold spots that i could feel.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_2913.png
    IMG_2913.png
    461.6 KB · Views: 296

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back