Vaillant Ecotec Plus 937

they probably already know the store pump needs changing but just bumping it along as its a pig of a job. not uncommon practice for these insurance companies. I can do it in an hour or so but I have done dozens, i would imagine first time they will need a few hours. Also will require very good access from the bottom.

As they haven't changed the storage tank PCB yet I will suggest that to them as it seems a lot easier to gain access to that and I know that in a lot of cases this will cure the fault. I know that the new PCBs without the software glitch were fitted to 937s manufactured at some point in 2008 but I'm guessing that my boiler must've missed it.

The engineer said that the boiler needed to come off the wall to change the store pump. Is this correct?

Sponsored Links
The engineer said that the boiler needed to come off the wall to change the store pump. Is this correct?

no not usually. as long as there is good access from below the boiler right to the back then it can be done from below

Apologies for resurrecting a slightly older thread but I thought I would post the outcome of this long running saga.

I phoned npower twice to ask them to speak to the engineer and their parts ordering dept Re the second PCB (that controls the storage pump) as they appeared to have changed the wrong one.

Needless to say when the engineer arrived to change the storage pump he hadn't received any of these messages and when I told him about the storage pump PCB and how this is more likely to have caused the F81/91 fault than the other PCB he was quite confused.

Apparently on one of the occasions that he spoke to Vaillant Technical they mentioned changing a PCB but actually gave him the part number for the main PCB and not the storage tank PCB so he ordered the part number that they gave him. I don't disbelieve him as he is quite conscientious and is very keen to get the boiler up and running again.

He called Vaillant and they confirmed that the other PCB should be changed. As changing the storage tank pump was quite an involved job (for someone who has never done one before) he suggested that they try the PCB first and then consider the pump in case this didn't work. As I thought it was going to be the PCB causing the problem I agreed.

They ordered a PCB, came back and fitted it and Hey Presto - It didn't solve the problem :cry:

So another appointment was booked for the engineer to come back with a second engineer (npowers tech dept said they needed two for changing a storage tank pump) and fit a new storage tank pump.

That was last Friday and fingers crossed it seems to be working ....... :D

The end result is that despite the annoyance of having my boiler play up for four months I have had an awful lot of the internal parts replaced (the engineer would joke that npower are slowly replacing my boiler piece by piece!) however, npower clearly are not competent when it comes to repairing boilers, keeping appointments, replying to letters or anything else related to customer service so I won't be renewing my contract with them when it expires.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice :LOL:

Sponsored Links
The end result is that despite the annoyance of having my boiler play up for four months I have had an awful lot of the internal parts replaced (the engineer would joke that npower are slowly replacing my boiler piece by piece!) however, npower clearly are not competent when it comes to repairing boilers, keeping appointments, replying to letters or anything else related to customer service so I won't be renewing my contract with them when it expires.

Everyone thinks that! They change and find they are all about the same!

I would say that better engineers would not really want to work for those firms!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back