vaillant ecotec plus problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had this boiler for about 3 years with no problems. Over the last couple of days the domestic hot water has not heated up properly - i.e. it has only got luke warm.

I watched the display and although the water is set at 60 degrees it only reaches about 46 before the burner cuts out and the temperature then drops to about 42 before the burner ignites again.

On one occasion the water failed to heat at all and there was a fault code F.64 . in the manual this means "Electronics/NTC fault Short-circuit in flow or return NTC or electronics defective"

Any ideas if there is a simple solution or am I in for a hefty repair bill?

Sponsored Links
ecotec's log the last 10 faults so have a look and see if you have any other codes in addition to F.64

use the i and - buttons to access fault codes then use + to scroll though
and use flame button when finished to reset the boiler display

ok,

1 - F64
2 - F22
3 - F22
4 - F22
5 - F22
6 - F75
7 - F75

I don't suppose it's possible to find out when these occured?

Sponsored Links
I forgot to mention - the top centre of the boiller is REALLY hot and has gone discoloured.

possibly combustion door seal has gone. don't use it and get someone in to replace it ASAP. Has it ever been properly serviced?

I forgot to mention - the top centre of the boiller is REALLY hot and has gone discoloured.

possibly combustion door seal has gone. don't use it and get someone in to replace it ASAP. Has it ever been properly serviced?

this is very bad as it has overheated several time by the sound of things the air duct has possibly melted

GET AN RGI ASAP.
this is a known problem and as said is usually linked to seal failure

I've had this boiler for about 3 years with no problems.

It sounds as if the boiler was not registered with the makers for the warrantee as they wrote to most owners with a recall to replace the seals.

Also that it was not serviced by a competent CORGI who would have known that the seals need to be replaced before they fail.

It also seems likely that you had noticed the boiler was overheating and chose to ignore that too until it stopped working !

Now you have the problem that your neglect has apparently caused considerable damage and that is likely to be quite a significant repair cost if the metal components of the combustion chamber have deformed.

Tony

And to think Vaillant and Group Service officially class the problem as over and case closed :rolleyes: :mad:

Sums them up really :rolleyes:

You must be psychic Agile!

I've not mentioned whether it'd been serviced or not or if the warantee had been registered.

Also, I'd not ignored any overheating as to my knowledge there'd been none.

Also, suerly the installers ( a big corgi company - who I wont mention by name) should have known if there was a common fault and let us know.

All my Vaillants got a new graphite seal at 12 months on the first service from me as standard.

Group service then followed and replaced it again :rolleyes: :LOL:

You just can't get through to some people of firms :mad:

OK. Just in case you're interested.

I got the installing company round who said 'yeah it's broke' and told me it needed a new seal, a sensor, plastic air intake and front cover and charged me 60 quid for the privellage. He then went off and ordered the parts.

An independent plumber then advised me to ring Vaillant direct, so I did.

They sent an engineer round to look at it who said it was beyond economical repair.

2 days later they sent me a new boiller in the morning and an engineer came and fitted it the same afternoon

All at no cost to me.

HOW GOOD Is THAT!

Thats remarkable but then we dont know if it was registered or if it has been serviced at all.

If it was then perhaps they are taking the view that it was their fault that they had missed notifying you of the recall. However, even that would be unusual because the servicing engineer should have known about this problem.

You are very lucky! In most cases they say that if it was not serviced as required then they will have nothing to do with it!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back