Vaillant ecotech plus 831 r1 no hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Vaillant 831 boiler which is not heating water. It is 4 years old and has had a diverter valve changed 2 years ago. It was working last night but this morning it has stopped heating the water. The central heating is working as it should. When a hot water tap is opened the flame symbol does not appear on the display. When warm start is on, the flame symbol appears and heats the water but when the hot water tap is opened it stops heating and the flame symbol disappears. The boiler is not showing any fault codes. I have tried resetting the boiler but it has not made any difference. The water pressure is at 2.2 bar.

Does anyone know what could be causing this problem?

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if the HW demand device is not working!

Time for an engineer!

Your pressure at 2.2 bar is rather high. Better to set it at about 1.5 bar cold.

Needing to replace the diverter at two years would imply careless installation on a dirty system. Perhaps there was dirt left in the cold supply pipe? Or local water replacement pipe work put dirt into the cold supplies?

Tony

It just started working again when I went to check the code. S.14 when the tap is open and S.17 when the tap is closed. It was S.30 before when it was not working.

Sponsored Links

Time for an engineer!

Your pressure at 2.2 bar is rather high. Better to set it at about 1.5 bar cold.

Needing to replace the diverter at two years would imply careless installation on a dirty system. Perhaps there was dirt left in the cold supply pipe? Or local water replacement pipe work put dirt into the cold supplies?

Tony
Tony you really need to stop this shoite you have absolutely no idea what is wrong and yet again you are telling the OP that whoever replaced his diverter valve has been careless

It just started working again when I went to check the code. S.14 when the tap is open and S.17 when the tap is closed. It was S.30 before when it was not working.
doesn't tell us much the s.14 and s17 is it has ignited and pump over run ( i think ) which is probably normal . when it happens again when checking make sure room stat is off first . are you getting the tap sign in display on boiler ???
TBH you probably need a rgi so it can be opened , if its what i think

EDIT actually i think S30 means no heating demand ( from memory??? )you need a repair engineer

Last edited:
The room thermostat is off and the CH temperature is set to the lowest setting. When the hot water tap is open or closed S.30 is displayed. It has stopped heating the water again. It seems to be an intermittent fault.

S30 from memory is only no call for central heating . are you getting tap signal in display with hot tap on

Time for an engineer!

Tony

Tony you really need to stop this shoite you have absolutely no idea what is wrong and yet again you are telling the OP that whoever replaced his diverter valve has been careless

You should really try to read and understand what I said.

I did NOT say the person who replaced the diverter was careless!

It is pretty obvious to most engineers what is wrong with the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back