Vaillant TurboMax Combi Boiler problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Before the summer, we had some problems whereas the heating will randomly come on when we have not switched it on, so as it was approaching summer, we just switched the heating off completely. Now that it’s cold again, I thought id switch it all on. I have not tested it properly but noticed that as soon as I turn the heating on, the needle on the gauge goes in the red/max.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/redbullandvodka/DSCN1803.jpg

When the boiler is not in use, the needle is at 90 degrees/half way.

I don’t know much about boilers and just wondered if this is normal? or is there a water/pressure problem?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
First thing to check is the expansion vessel pressure with the system pressure at zero.

Search on here for re-pressurising an expansion vessel.

If when you test it water comes out of the valve then it will need replacing.

If the pressure gauge needle goes straight to 3 bar from 2 bar as soon as the pump starts it suggests some blockage of the heating circuit. Are you sure the flow and return isolating valves below the boiler are open? Perhaps the system is very sludgy and is blocking normal flow.

the heating will randomly come on when we have not switched it on,
Usually because you have set the hot water preheat on ( by turning water temp knob fully clockwise for a couple of seconds) and the diverter valve is letting HW into the heating system when the boiler comes on to heat the water.
Common failure, of the DV.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies guys.

Chrishutt...sorry to sound simple, but between the boiler and the floor there is a tap like connection on one of the pipes, would this be one of the valves you are talking about? I checked it and it it turned off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back