Valiant Combi Boiler not lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New to this so please bare with me!

My boiler doesn't want to light. Sounds like it is about to light but doesn't happen.

It was fine yesterday but for some reason now stopped.

Not sure if just a coincedence but one of my radiators is slightly leaking - could it be something to do with water pressure or just dodgy boiler?

Boiler is quite old. Not sure exactly what age. The front has a small black button on right, 2 buttons covered with rubbery cover and a round knobs going up to 9. On the right is 2 dials.

Anybody help?

Sponsored Links
Does the pressure guage show water pressure in the boiler? About 1.0 is a standard cold pressure if all is OK on that front.

But it sounds like it just needs topping up using the filling loop and the leaking radiator needs to be addressed.

Thanks for the reply.

it looks like no pressure at all on the boiler.

Sorry for ignorance but how do i turn up the pressure?

how do i turn up the pressure?
See the section dealing with this in the sticky reference topic near the top of the topic list.

Sponsored Links
You're looking for "filling loop"
Your boiler sounds like a VCW gb242e

Thanks alot all.

Just did the thing with the filling loop and the pressure has risen and it all seems ok.

I guess i need to get the raidiator sorted orthis will happen again?

ChrisR said:
Your boiler sounds like a VCW gb242e

Sorry to hijack but there is a connection! What are the ramifications of running this boiler long term (possibly years) with little or no system pressure?

It depends how much air got in as a consequence of loss of pressure. If it continued to run full of water it would probably do little if any harm, but once air is present, all sorts of damage results. Pumps are likely to suffer and air will cause increased corrosion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back