Valiant Ecotech Pro 28 & Drayton Digistat 3

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey people,

I had a quick look at this site for the issue I'm having and I found this page:
//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/valiant-ecotech-pro-28-drayton-digistat-3.228065/

I had a custom heating control system installed and I'm looking to revert back to the original from the house now that I'm moving.

I have a Valiant Echotech Pro 28 boiler and a Drayton Digistat 3 that I want to get back installed to it.

The cabling in the wall is still there and correct. I've tested that if I bridge/short the two cables at the Digistat end, the boiler stays on constantly, so the cabling looks good.

However when I wire in the Digistat it's not triggering the boiler.

Is there a way I can test the Digistat? My logic would be if I put on the heating on the stat with it off the wall and on it's own, surely it should bridge two pins on the back of it, which I can prove with a continuity test on a multi meter? There seem to be two pins constantly bridged even when the heating is set to off - is this correct?

Which pins on the stat should correspond with the boiler? What I've read is 3 to common and 4 to on?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Your reasoning is pretty much correct, but there are several versions of the Digistat. Is yours just a Digistat 3 (can't remember ever seeing a 3) or is it a Digistat +3, or +3RF? and they are all different.

If you could post details of what each of the terminals actually does rather than a number [eg Com, call for heat, satisfied, NO. NC etc.,] that would be helpful.

If it's mains powered, you may have to make a link between the live that powers the thermostat and one of the switching contacts.

Normally for switching purposes there is a 'common', and two other terminals, the 'common' will be connected to one when the thermostat is calling for heat, and the other when it isn't.

Thanks. I recognise it now. It's battery powered.

So, when the thermostat is calling for heat, pins 1 and 3 should be connected together, and when it's not calling for heat (satisfied) then 1 and 2 should be connected together. You should also hear a click as it changes between the two positions.

I have known Digistats to stop switching when the batteries are getting low, or not making good contact. There is a low battery indicator, but I have known one stop working before it appears. So if the batteries have been in for a while, it might be worth replacing them.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that! I hadn't considered that a low battery voltage could be the issue.
I've just tried 3 sets of them, only one of which showed the low battery indicator.
Unfortunately though, whatever I did 1 and 2 stayed connected together. I heard a click as it changes between the two positions, but the pin connections stayed the same.

I guess there's a good chance the relay in there has died or something.

I'll try again with a brand new set of AA's just to rule that out, and if not looks like I'll be getting a new one!

If the thermostat has been wired up incorrectly at some point and a short circuit has been created, it's quite common for the switching contacts to become welded together, although if that happened I wouldn't expect to hear the 'click'

Well blow me. I worked it out.
It's fussy about the "type" of battery!
After you mentioning the batteries on here, I did a bit of digging online (I don't have the original manual for the stat anymore, only the boiler) and found stuff referring to it only working with alkaline batteries above a certain voltage.

Being 2016 and all, I had only used some new fangled rechargeable shenanigans which was powering it, but obviously not enough for it.

I dug out some alkaline batteries and the click of the relay was SO much louder- quick test with the multi meter and it worked! The pins changed!

Now I just need to wire it back into the system to test.
Just to check my sanity-
3 on boiler to Common
4 on boiler to ON
That's what I've found online and what I've deduced from the diagrams in the instructions.

Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back