Van Signage.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all.....

I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on Van signage. I've recently expanded somewhat and spent some money on a website that goes live soon, and the usual business cards etc.

Should I sign the Van?

Sometimes I just get fed up of seeing another Joe Bloggs Building Contractor Van.....but, are they worth it from a customers perspective? I saw a comment elsewhere on the forum somewhere about someone saying they thought it was more professional and that those who don't have their name on it are obviously cowboys and dont want to be recognised - its not really that way for me, I just didn't feel that I needed the additional advertising...

However, I would like to do it, if people think it portrays the right image etc.

Thoughts on a postcard please.....

Sponsored Links
But it also advertises whats in your van for the thieving t**** My van has no signage so people have no idea whats in there.. :D

John...

But it also advertises whats in your van for the thieving t**** My van has no signage so people have no idea whats in there.. :D
The way round that might well be magnetic signage - printed onto a sort of magnetic rubber. Works well if you don't want to advertise yourself when you park up at night and good for those times when you are working sub and the main contractor wants you to be one of "his" men.

Our vans have always been signwritten but after replacing them this October our boss has decided not to have them done again. Personally I preferr it this way as the ammount of times we would get pulled up to have some lunch/ make phone call etc to have someone pull up to ask advise (-read ask how to do a job they shouldnt be doing as they dont want to pay someone to do it) or the dreaded "will you do it in the evenings for pound notes mate?".

Wouldn't like to say if it generates any real increase in work as have only ever had a handful of people say they saw van and took number. If your business has a good name people won't care how stickered up your van is in my opinion.

Sponsored Links
The way round that might well be magnetic signage - printed onto a sort of magnetic rubber. Works well if you don't want to advertise yourself when you park up at night and good for those times when you are working sub and the main contractor wants you to be one of "his" men.

i have the magnetic stickers in the back of my van, as you say the main contractor i work for likes me to put them on. The only problem is you have to lie them flat for storage and they pick up any amount of crap from the back of your van.. :D

john...

I've got a couple of magnetic signs and stick them to the underside of the roof when not in use , they don't pick anything up there.

If you leave the magnetic sign on the van for a long time......................the van will rust underneath. :eek:

I found out the hard way!

Andy

Do you mean the rust formed underneath the sign as I must admit I've noticed they do hold moisture?

Don't own any vans but if i did then i'd sign them purely just for obvious reason.....advertising.

My sister lives in a posh part of Nottingham, very leafy and lots of well to do folk, electric gates, posh schools you know the score, she says she often witnesses builders just park up and get picked up leaving the van on various streets all day just....well err......advertising, many of the trades round there rarely leave the area as all the work is streets from each other

I had my van sign written for two years, i dont think i got a single job from it.
A pain in the buttocks when i wanted to get the side resprayed when a bin lorry put a gouge down the side.
Its a pain to remove them when you want to sell the van aswell. If you do i would keep it to a minimum.
Personally i dont think its worth it! :confused:

Thanks for your input guys - have to admit i'm still none the wiser!

One of the chaps i'm thinking about going into business with thinks its a good idea that people can associate with the logo/website etc. when they see it around, not necessarily a bold phone number and bullet pointed list of jobs we do.....so I may just put the logo and website and leave it at that.

The logo and website only works for companies like BT etc, as they have thousands of vans.

A sign say 'PLUMBER 07*********' would get noticed more than bullet points.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Back