varnish/stain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

ive got to coat some staircase spindles, they are already stained with what looks like walnut, should i coat them with a walnut stain, or just a clear varnish?

Sponsored Links
Why do you want to stain them again? It's always sensible to lightly sand any old surface before applying new finishes. This will give the varnish a key and ensure better adhesion.

Hope this helps

Ian McAslan

on closer inspection the spindles have a wax feel to them, can anyone advise on me on what is the best way of applying a finish to them. thx

Sponsored Links
It's most likely that they've been finished with a coloured wax, something like Black Bison Paste Wax or Briwax.

The easiest way to bring them back to life is to clean them down with some Joynes wade Waxless Polish and then overcoat again with wax.

If you're after a more durable finish then the spindles will need to be sanded back and then finished with something like S&R Danish Oil. The big problem you have if they are already coated in wax is that the wax deeply penetrates the surface so you will either have to sand alot off or seal the surface with a shellac barrier seal and then overcoat with the Danish Oil.

If I were you I'd go for the rewaxing route.

Hope this helps

Ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back