Varnished wood picture rail soon to be gloss/stain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

The living room currently has some wooden shelves, fire surround and picture rail, which all match however we are deciding to paint the picture rail.

It seems to be varnished, so I have started sanding down an area in the corner just to test the gloss colour (shade of cream)

Question is - do I need to sand back the varnish or can I just use an undercoat (B-I-N etc) straight onto the varnished wood?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Either way it needs sanding to give a key for the primer / Zinnser, then undercoat and top coat as usual.

Cheers,

I sanded an area down in the corner yesterday and tonight I put sone paint straight on it, see how it looks tomorrow.

To be honest it's going to be satinwood paint now too. Says on the tin that it doesn't require am undercoat.

Shall I risk it? Just sand then maybe 2 coats?

Right well, sanded the picture rail smooth and took most of the varnish top coat off.

Bought a tin of dulux quick dry satin wood - barley white... What a mistake that was!

It's so thin compared to the old satin dulux paint (solvent) and looks crap next to test area i did with the old stuff!

Praying a second coat tomorrow will look better :( if not I'm taking it back and getting a solvent based satin!

Sponsored Links
Personally I don't like water based Gloss or satinwood. I always stick with oil based stuff. There will be plenty that do like it. It might be an idea to use the Zinsser anyway prior to putting any topcoat on. Stained wood is notorious for chipping off when painted with white paint. The Zinsser will help the paint to grip and make it last.

Cheers Robbie.

I took the water based satin back, and got some proper solvent based high idrip gloss which is nice and thick.

I didn't prime or undercoat it... It went on well but will defo need a second (final) coat.

With it being a picture rail it should get touched very often so hopefully no need to worry about chipping ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back